VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't understand. I live in Eugene, Oregon but the police here are constantly saying their budget it to low and they can't afford to pay police and blahblah w/e. BTW we just got the new blue cruisers within the last couple years.

So what do they do to prove that they aren't blowing the money.. Replace all the current patrol cars with brand new chargers.

then we got some of these

And heres the charger

And we have a bunch of undercover vehicles as well. Sheriffs all got new white crownvics and a couple suv's as well.

They say within the next 6 months all officers will be driving them. The other day I drove up by one who was harassing kids hanging out by the bus station/library. He talked to them for a few and stomped on it.. Pretty fast car and a ridiculous show of speed/acceleration next to 100's of people/cars and a red light ahead. That he stopped at.

So if they are hurting so bad on money. Where do they get the money to purchase all of these cars and whats the point of it since there performance isn't much better then the new cars they are replacing...

· Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upon more research the chargers are a couple k cheaper then the crowns. But they are looking into another option by chevy (idk?) and a ford (my guess is mustang 12 second 1/4mile police car sounds dangerous)..

idk I dont see why they are getting new cars.. The newest vics are still immaculate.. I mean most dont even have a scratch.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Upon more research the chargers are a couple k cheaper then the crowns. But they are looking into another option by chevy (idk?) and a ford (my guess is mustang 12 second 1/4mile police car sounds dangerous)..

idk I dont see why they are getting new cars.. The newest vics are still immaculate.. I mean most dont even have a scratch.
That's because they get fixed immediately. You think a city wants its police cars running around scratched and beat up? :sly:

· Registered
22,252 Posts
yeah, but the amount of mileage/beatings they accumulate over their service life means their life is shorter than most road cars. there comes a time when annual service work/parts on a car becomes not worth it, and they might as well upgrade. i'm sure the cop cars have a discount associated with them or some even donated by dealerships/towns.

· Registered
18,870 Posts
As with anything mechanical, servicing it in such a way to keep it in good operating condition takes more and more money as it gets older. Police service departments can be extremely busy and expensive places to operate, and even more so with an old fleet. Unless these police departments lower their standards, it costs them less to replace their vehicles. I lived in a city where they effectively lowered their standards so much that police officers were crashing, even losing lives due to easily preventable mechanical problems. I'm sure the cop haters on this forum see the lives of cops as having little value, but life insurance policies and lowered morale both cost real money.

Now I sure don't know if your police department did detailed analysis. I imagine they used standard practices with regards to their replacement cycle...whatever that may be. If you really want to do some research on this, there's a good forum....www.realpolice.com...if I remember correctly.

· Registered
1,086 Posts

Every car ever used as a standard police car has had 4 doors. You think they're gonna make the cop fold down his seat to stow a criminal? Not likely.

· Registered
27,690 Posts
Just a heads up...our sector budget for operational expenses (including vehicles) is less than 15% of the overall budget - the rest covers salaries etc.

I'd imagine its similar in most police departments. Buying new vehicles isn't the end of the world. Just because its the only obvious application of funds that you see. If you're angry about Police spending - be glad you're not aware of the money politicians blow on useless nonsense.

· Registered
3,397 Posts
Every car ever used as a standard police car has had 4 doors. You think they're gonna make the cop fold down his seat to stow a criminal? Not likely.
Oh really?

In 1983, Florida became one of a handful of states besides California, Georgia, Idaho, Colorado, Wisconsin, Arizona and Texas to try the new Special Service Package Mustang.
Over the life of the SSP program, the total numbers of Mustangs used by FHP exceeded 1600 vehicles, ranking only behind CHP and Texas DPS.

· Registered
9,163 Posts

· Banned
10,945 Posts
So if they are hurting so bad on money. Where do they get the money to purchase all of these cars and whats the point of it since there performance isn't much better then the new cars they are replacing...
I'm just going to guess that you have no experience in the public sector. That money could have come from any number of sources beyond regular departmental funding. Most if not all grants have stipulations as to what the funds can be used for. Payroll is not usually one of them. Governmental pants have a lot of pockets.

· Registered
6,802 Posts
I'm just going to guess that you have no experience in the public sector. That money could have come from any number of sources beyond regular departmental funding. Most if not all grants have stipulations as to what the funds can be used for. Payroll is not usually one of them. Governmental pants have a lot of pockets.
:thumbup:

Another thing is that these contracts are in the works for years ahead of times. People don't realize that typically most manufacturers put in a contract bid (cheapest usually gets the bid)...City Hall (or other Govt.) approves it, the Police Dept. then has to allocate and distribute funds accordingly. There are certain parts of PD's that distribute fines (like my position) but most dept. depend on taxes and other grants to get funding....

But I forgot that's wrong, police just ticket everyone to make money because they're out to get everyone because they have nothing better to do all day.

now its time for the posts to develop into arguments and then get this thread locked

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Yes they do. Unfortunately, they're my pockets....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.