VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm currently rebuilding a set of three piece wheels. I was able to buff all the small scratches out of the faces using a bench grinder with a sewn cotton wheel/brown compound, followed by loose cotton wheel/white compound. here are the results I was able to get with on the lips:
before:

after:

However, I'm having a hard time getting the lips to shine. Do you think I should wetsand the lips with 2000 grit and polish with some Mothers Aluminum Wheel Polish?
Here is a picture of the lips:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (iamraymond)

I am actually only having problems with the flat surface of the lips. The rounded parts are easier to get to with the buffer, but I just can't manouver the lips to the flat parts. I think I may end up wetsanding with 2000 grit and polishing with some Mothers Aluminum wheel polish.
The portion marked Red is very dull with light scratches and the portion marked Green has a brillant shine. I used the exact same process for both parts of the lip (White Compound with Loose Cotton), but I can't get the flat section to shine.
Does anyone have any other advice?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (darkspector)

I believe they are roughly the same. The lustre from using Mothers and using the white compound on loose cotton is roughly the same from my experience. I have wetsanded until 2000 grit and polished with mothers on the flat portion of the wheel and used white compound on the rounded parts and the finish is roughly the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts