VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im looking for a car. I would like a 2 seater (maybe a small back seat), RWD or awd, manual, sporty looking and a V6
Im kinda torn between the turboed versions of these 3, which would you choose?
Price is a big issue- I know they will all be expensive since they are twin turboed, but which would be cheapest and how much would i end up spending on these? (Any under 5500-7000?)
I would also like to have a decent aftermarket for it..

3000GT

300ZX

dont bother voting for the supra anymores, too expensive...

Modified by jeremy80l at 2:26 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Re: Poll- 300ZX VS 3000GT VS Supra (jeremy80l)

The 3000GT is a heavy beast and maintenence is a *****.
The 300Z is a great car but the V6 has reletively low limits when comparred to the other two. Lines are still beautiful. The engine bay is so crarmped on this car that it is a tunners nightmare.
The Supra is obviously the highest priced, but it is also the most moddable/reliable. Aftermarket is massive to say the least.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Re: Poll- 300ZX VS 3000GT VS Supra (1QUIKVR)

the supra it the top dog of these three, but for my money I'd probably go eith the 300ZX its got an allright aftermarket and the buyin and mod prices are a bit less than the supra. If money wasn't an issue then there really isn't any question. Or if I could find a Supra for a good price, it would probably be worth it for the toyota reliability.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts

my friend has a 300zx .. all suspension work with a free flowing exhaust/ no cats.. and he turned the boost up a bit.. ran a 12.6 in the 1/4.. and the handling is insane with the coilovers.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Re: (1.8Twentieth)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8Twentieth »
3000GT! 3si.com ....
ALL WHEEL DRIVE! ALL WHEEL STEERING!

which equals very expensive repair bills when those systems break.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (GTiTOM)

umm the 300ZX has all wheel steering too..

Remeber, its about the money
Could I afford the 300zx or 3000gt under 6000? (want to spend money on other parts of the car)

·
Premium Member
11,254 Posts
Re: (jeremy80l)

3000GT will deffinatly be the most affordable. (come on now, they will all break and there's no way the Supra should even be in on this comparo, price range wise, maybe the previous gen Supra)
Money is a big question for you, have you considered what the insurance agent will say to you? I can see it now...
Him- "so you say this car has a turbo?"
you- "well, not exactly, it has two..."
Him- "I see..."

For one of those three, My 6 grand is going to be for a NA 300zx

Modified by MGQ at 12:59 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Re: (jeremy80l)

Quote, originally posted by jeremy80l »
umm the 300ZX has all wheel steering too..

even more reason to get the supra! there's a reason that they few manufacturers who tried it didn't put it in their cars for long.
the only problem with the supra though is that they are usually priced pretty high (overpriced maybe?). i don't think you have any chance of finding one for 6 grand, unless it's a mk3 supra....which can definitely be made to be very fast.
Quote, originally posted by MGQ »
3000GT will deffinatly be the most affordable. (come on now, they will all break and there's no way the Supra should even be in on this comparo, price range wise, maybe the previous gen Supra)

i believe there was a thread the other day saying that the 3000GTs are notorious for eating trannies. the only one i've driven was fresh out of the shop with a new tranny. twin turbo supra definitely shouldn't on this list, but maybe a single turbo or NA one might be feasible. in the end though, my decision would probably come down to this:
1) supra is going to have a cost of entry that's way too high.
2) 3000 GT is ugly (there i said it
), doesn't have a rep for being reliable, and i'm just not a fan of it.
3) 300zx wins by default. and i love the looks. good luck finding a tt one for 6 grand though. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by GTiTOM at 10:38 AM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
Doesn't the 300zx have notorious electrical problems?
Just something I've heard through the grapevine...could anyone elaborate on that for me?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Poll- 300ZX VS 3000GT VS Supra (GTI1.8)

Ok, so no at all for a supra
Are there any other cars you can think of that would be similar

·
Registered
7,642 Posts

my friend picked up his 300zxTT in great condition for around 9k. the seats had been covered since the day it was bought.. the guy even had the window sticker for the car.. ill get a pic.. it looks sick now http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
26,607 Posts

Supra.
Easier to work on than the 300Zx, and although I dislike the interior/exterior styling in comparison to the 300, it will wear better.
Nissan didn't seem to build interior/exterior hardware and finishes to the same level of Toyota in the early 90's.
That being said, my heart lies with the 300ZxTT

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
If the supra is too much then the Z all the way, I like the MR2 suggestion, also I'd include a Fox body Mustang b/c if you can find a decent clean one and drop money into the suspension you'll have a car thats fast in a straight line and can turn as well

or another suggestion a 924/944 Porsche???

Modified by MoochsMalibu at 6:22 PM 2-14-2004

1 - 20 of 45 Posts