VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: Pollen Filter (vwpack)

take off the entire plastic tray that covers the battery amongst other things under there. just take the weatherstripping off the front and the tray should slide off. the pollen filter will be visible on the passenger side.

· Registered
2,687 Posts

I just did it on my 2003 GLX, pull off the rubber gasket that seals the hood,
in the back by the windshield.
Then the plastic cover over the battery pulls off, not the little panel, the entire
thing that runs side to side of the car (windshield width).
The pollin filter is on the passenger side of the car.
There is a little clip holding it in, pulls out.
At 12,000 miles, mine was very dirty.
Brett
2003 GLX

· Registered
2,687 Posts

Way past time!
My 2003 takes an almost square filter, I had mail ordered a filter, but got a
longer one than my car takes, likely for an older car.
Dealers want about $20.00 which seems a bit high, although its a hepa
filter. I have the old one in my work van, looking for some way to make
a filter to fit at lower cost, but have not found anything that would work well yet.
An electrostatic filter would be nice, just wash it out and re use it.
Brett
2003 GLX

· Registered
6,678 Posts
Re: Pollen Filter (Brett1)

Quote, originally posted by Brett1 »
Way past time!
... looking for some way to make
a filter to fit at lower cost, but have not found anything that would work well yet.
An electrostatic filter would be nice, just wash it out and re use it.

It should be easy enough. Just take the old filter, tear out the filtering paper, and fit a new one. For about a dolla, you can buy a home A/C return filter, take out the paper, and staple it, tape it, or whatever, to the car filter plastic frame. Instead of paper, you could also buy an electrostatic filter for home A/C and do the same thing. That way, you end up with a reusable filter. I would worry much about HEPA, because I am willing to bet that the system is not sealed enough to provide an allergen free environment anyway.

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Re: Pollen Filter (av_audi)

I tried that, but normal hepa filter is just paper, there is no support for it,
you could take a lot of time and hand glue it to some ends and sides made
of hard cardboard, but in that case, $20.00 would be a lot easier and faster!
If i could come up with something somewhat rigid, or pre made.....
maybe another cars air filter would fit in the space, or maybe I could find one
that was the correct width and trim the length, but it would likely
cost as much as the oem filter.
I like the idea of a reusable one, but the electrostatic filters are made up
of a soft plastic mesh, thin foam, and another soft plastic mesh, i had one
in my old home heater, new heater has an electronic air cleaner, for cars next???
I will likely just buy a new cabin filter every 4 months or so, but will keep my
eye out for an alternitive setup.
Brett
2003 GLX

· Registered
2,005 Posts

I just did it on my 2003 GLX, pull off the rubber gasket that seals the hood, in the back by the windshield.

I'm having difficulty with this first step...I've tugged and pulled on this thing, but it's not budging and I'm a bit concerned that I'm actually going to tear a chunk out of it. Any advice on getting it started? I've tried pulling from the middle and from a corner, to no avail.

· Registered
6,678 Posts

I tried that, but normal hepa filter is just paper, there is no support for it, you could take a lot of time and hand glue it to some ends and sides made of hard cardboard, but in that case, $20.00 would be a lot easier and faster!

Of course, I should have added "who has the time for it" in my post. But I am sure this is something that can be done. You can always build a small frame out of wood and put a coat it to prevent any moisture absorption. But again, who has time for it?

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Re: Pollen Filter (Altair 4)

The rubber trim gasket pulls forward.
it has ribbs in it that are supposed to keep it in place, and the plastic black
panel in front of the windshield also has ribbs.
Grasp it top and bottom, not from the foam seal part and yank it off.
it should not be hard to get off.
You dont need to undo the entire thing, only the length of the firewall, not the sides
of the engine bay...
Brett
2003 GLX

· Registered
87 Posts
Re: Pollen Filter (Jesstzn)

Guys, not to invite flames, but we're talking about a $20 job? Let the service guys handle it. BTW, yes, I rotate my own tires, change wiper blades, etc., but come on. Just have your service people do it when you get an oil change...

· Registered
32 Posts
Re: Pollen Filter (drchris)

Quote, originally posted by drchris »
Guys, not to invite flames, but we're talking about a $20 job? Let the service guys handle it. BTW, yes, I rotate my own tires, change wiper blades, etc., but come on. Just have your service people do it when you get an oil change...

Oh yes, just like they supposedly change the oil filter...sorry but I do not trust the dealer for nothin.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.