VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here from Pomona? I want to get out of boring Iowa and go back to school somewhere with no frigid sub zero "goodness"

Thinking about moving out there for a while and see what the west coast has to offer.
My in-progress bucket for clicks:

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Pomona members? (SoCal_SFVR6)

Quote, originally posted by akoehler »

LOL!
Quote, originally posted by SoCal_SFVR6 »
I can't tell if I like your car or not, but why Pomona?

It's a work in progress, getting the body work pretty close to done now, and then it's resprayed very soon with semi-gloss hugger orange, and the koni coilovers just got done being rebuilt in cali actually, so those will go on soon.
I don't know, Pomona isn't 100% exactly certain, but the main thing is I want to get out of this boring place and finish college. I work at rockwell collins and there is both a rockwell there that i could possibly transfer to, and also Cal Poly Pomona looks nice.
I'm open to advice and suggestions though, that's why I started this thread.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Re: Pomona members? (OrangeDUB)

i live in pomona,
it's a ****hole
roads are terrible and there's not a whole lot to do within the city unless you speak spanish

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Pomona members? (ixmxm)

Quote, originally posted by ixmxm »
i live in pomona,
it's a ****hole
roads are terrible and there's not a whole lot to do within the city unless you speak spanish

no lie? hmm... damn...

·
Registered
4,366 Posts

i live in pomona,
it's a ****hole

lol
thats the truth too... check out claremont, la verne, upland, ontario or chino those are all surrounding cities with way better/safer options... not great but better
how did you hear of pomona?
just curious

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Pomona members? (KR3DUB)

Quote, originally posted by KR3DUB »

lol
thats the truth too... check out claremont, la verne, upland, ontario or chino those are all surrounding cities with way better/safer options... not great but better
how did you hear of pomona?
just curious

Mostly Cal Poly Pomona sparked my interest for mechanical engineering... mostly where I can trasfer to through work will be where I will be living. I know it must take a long tiem to get through traffic lol

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Quote, originally posted by OrangeDUB »

Mostly Cal Poly Pomona sparked my interest for mechanical engineering... mostly where I can trasfer to through work will be where I will be living. I know it must take a long tiem to get through traffic lol

dont get me wrong there are pockets in pomona that are reallllly nice. a lot of large historical homes. but like said above, the surrounding cities are a lot nicer. but a little more expensive to live.
cal poly is a pretty good school.. the only thing is its really hard to get classes espeicially now with the budget cuts. it's a commuter school so there's not really a lot of campus life since students are usually there only for classes. but the school is very diverse as far as ethnicities go

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

dont get me wrong there are pockets in pomona that are reallllly nice. a lot of large historical homes. but like said above, the surrounding cities are a lot nicer. but a little more expensive to live.
cal poly is a pretty good school.. the only thing is its really hard to get classes espeicially now with the budget cuts. it's a commuter school so there's not really a lot of campus life since students are usually there only for classes. but the school is very diverse as far as ethnicities go

I'll still check it out in that case http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I just don't want to live in a neighborhood where I have to worry about where I park my car, or is that just plain naive??

·
Registered
1 Posts

Wow I'm glad I found this thread, maybe I can help you out.
If you're seriously interested in Cal Poly Pomona, don't let what people say about the area stand in your way of coming here. I almost let that happen to me a couple years back. Now I'm going into my third year at CPP and I can't imagine being anywhere else.
It's true that the city of Pomona is definitely not the nicest place in SoCal but the area surrounding the school is actually pretty nice. Look up the school on Google maps or something and you'll find that it is actually pretty separated from Pomona and bordered by the cities of Walnut and Diamond Bar, both of which are pretty nice. I moved here form Mission Viejo which is the heart of safe, boring suburbia in Orange County about 45 minutes south and west of Pomona so I was a little worried about the area at first too.
What major are you interested in? As stated above, we have an awesome Engineering department, especially mechanical which is what I'm studying. The other majors here are pretty good as well. If you're into cars and racing (which I'm assuming you are given the nature of this forum) we have an awesome Formula SAE team on which we design and build a small scale formula style race car and compete against other colleges in competitions around the world. Here is the team's website to give you a better idea:
http://www.csupomona.edu/~fsae/
Most of the pics on the site are from last season but I can post some of the new car if you want.
There are plenty of places either on or off campus that are pleasant to live and where you won't have to worry about your vehicle.
Whew, sorry about the essay but I hope it helps. PM me or reply to this or whatever if you want to know more about any of this.
-Matt
PS: nice Jolf!

Modified by Matto15 at 8:39 PM 7-1-2008

·
Banned
10,994 Posts
Re: Pomona members? (ninja_gaiden)

Quote, originally posted by ninja_gaiden »
so you want to move from ass cold to ass hot.

Seriously, F this heat.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Pomona members? (Matto15)

Quote, originally posted by ninja_gaiden »
so you want to move from ass cold to ass hot.

YES as long as there is some hot socal ass

Quote, originally posted by Matto15 »
Wow I'm glad I found this thread, maybe I can help you out.
If you're seriously interested in Cal Poly Pomona, don't let what people say about the area stand in your way of coming here. I almost let that happen to me a couple years back. Now I'm going into my third year at CPP and I can't imagine being anywhere else.
It's true that the city of Pomona is definitely not the nicest place in SoCal but the area surrounding the school is actually pretty nice. Look up the school on Google maps or something and you'll find that it is actually pretty separated from Pomona and bordered by the cities of Walnut and Diamond Bar, both of which are pretty nice. I moved here form Mission Viejo which is the heart of safe, boring suburbia in Orange County about 45 minutes south and west of Pomona so I was a little worried about the area at first too.
What major are you interested in? As stated above, we have an awesome Engineering department, especially mechanical which is what I'm studying. The other majors here are pretty good as well. If you're into cars and racing (which I'm assuming you are given the nature of this forum) we have an awesome Formula SAE team on which we design and build a small scale formula style race car and compete against other colleges in competitions around the world. Here is the team's website to give you a better idea:
http://www.csupomona.edu/~fsae/
Most of the pics on the site are from last season but I can post some of the new car if you want.
There are plenty of places either on or off campus that are pleasant to live and where you won't have to worry about your vehicle.
Whew, sorry about the essay but I hope it helps. PM me or reply to this or whatever if you want to know more about any of this.
-Matt
PS: nice Jolf!

Modified by Matto15 at 8:06 PM 7-1-2008

Thanks for taking the time to tell me that!!! Yes I want to get my degree in mechanical engineering. I've gotten my AAS in telecommunications technology, but mechanical stuff is what I like and what I do when I'm not working...
If I can transfer, my work would probably fly me down there to check it out which would be awesome. I'd love to see what it's liek down there. The only place in the SW I've been is Vegas, and that's just a tourist trap full of sex and money. It's a blast, but does not represent your guys' side of the US as far as what it's liek to live there>

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Re: Pomona members? (Matto15)

Quote, originally posted by OrangeDUB »

YES as long as there is some hot socal ass

minimal at cal poly. but cali = yes

Quote, originally posted by Matto15 »
Now I'm going into my third year at CPP and I can't imagine being anywhere else.
I moved here form Mission Viejo

3rd year at Cal Poly from Mission Viejo driving a MK3,
why don't I know you?
i'm in the same boat

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

Dude, just like with every city throughout the country, there are areas of Pomona you just don't go to. On the flip side, there are plenty of other areas that are not a problem at all.
And if you are going to Cal Poly Pomona, you might as well consider that Walnut because it's on the border of Pomona and Walnut and it's not really in "Pomona" if you catch that. I do know they have some fraternities who stay on 3rd or 4th street and on Holt that are not in good areas of the city, but the parties still get crackin though.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Re: Pomona members? (Caster Troy)

Yes...try Walnut or Diamond Bar. Stay the HECK away from POORmona.
Yes, I too am a CPP student and lets just say that Cal Poly is on the border of pomona and Walnut. Shoot...they should just call the school Cal Poly Walnut (with Mt. Sac right down the street being in Walnut. What I am getting at is Cal Poly is barely in Pomona, so you would be ok living anywhere else but Pomona.
Walnut, Diamond Bar, Chino Hills San Dimas, Glendora, West Covina. (In order from closest to the campus to furthest) All great places to live in the area. It depends on how far you want to drive though.

Edit: after proofing the post, it would sound like I am a snob in the area.
Not quite, but c'mon now--if your gonna move out to California, at least move to a nice area.

Modified by whitemike at 5:20 PM 7-2-2008

·
Registered
5,626 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Caster Troy »
Dude, just like with every city throughout the country, there are areas of Pomona you just don't go to. On the flip side, there are plenty of other areas that are not a problem at all.
And if you are going to Cal Poly Pomona, you might as well consider that Walnut because it's on the border of Pomona and Walnut and it's not really in "Pomona" if you catch that. I do know they have some fraternities who stay on 3rd or 4th street and on Holt that are not in good areas of the city, but the parties still get crackin though.

Yup. If you can, stay north of the 10 or west of the 57. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Oh, and stay away from that Caster Troy fella. He's nothin but trouble

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Caster Troy »
I do know they have some fraternities who stay on 3rd or 4th street and on Holt that are not in good areas of the city, but the parties still get crackin though.

cops have better things to do in Pomona then bust college kids for partying (or driving for that matter)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts