1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was VERY interesting.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/pors...-300r
Quote »
Step away from your piggy bank; every 911 Sport Classic has been sold. If this statement has ruined your world, if you still yearn for a retro-looking 911 on (relatively) modern running gear, then take heart from this. Developed by Paul Stephens Autoart, the 300R takes a 964 chassis (that's a 1989 911) and then drops an old-school bodyshell on top.
But don't for a second think of this as a cheap welding job. All of Stephens' cars cost over £85,000 and the engineering prowess that gets fed into them is as serious as any mainstream manufacturer. Each car has the same warranty as a ‘works' Porsche, and each uses genuine Porsche parts in the greasy bits.
The beauty is that you can have virtually whatever look you want - the 2.7 RS pictured here is shouty, but other customers go for a more Q-car feel. Stephens is currently working on making a 993 RS look like a 1970s 911 ST. Retro doesn't get much cooler.
The first thing that hits you about the 300R is the smell - it has real old-car ambience inside, there's so much character and respect for the genuine 2.7 RS. All the major touch points reinforce this - the view forward with the thin A-pillars, the steering wheel being mounted a fraction too low in your lap, the retro seats lacking the last inch of support of a modern car.
These aren't criticisms. They're what make this car stand out.
Not that it needs any help, as the ducktail spoiler and sports exhaust shout enough. Thanks to that exhaust, the engine sounds fantastic. It's too loud for the requirements of a modern 911 - these need to be able to cruise quietly as well as sound enthusiastic - but the 3.8-litre engine has got that flat-six purr which newer 911s have dialled out.
The 300R is compromised, though. It's still a relatively old car, and there is only so much that Stephens can do to make it match up to modern standards. But that's not a problem. Any little tiny foibles mean that nothing seems out of place, nothing jars. There's a symmetry that just works.
There's a temptation to get a little bit snobby about these things. The sort of attitude that afflicts replica racing cars - that if you can't buy the original then you shouldn't bother. But you can't be like that; this is Porsche fever at its best. Enthusiasts getting enthusiastic.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Re: Porsche 911 300R (Orjan)

Quote, originally posted by Orjan »
Paul Stephens makes very nice conversions

oh my! i definitely want one of those. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
edit: i love the ducktail spoilers! ala 2.7 RS......

Modified by andlf at 9:25 AM 1-29-2010

·
33,221 Posts
Re: Porsche 911 300R (RabbitsKin)

Quote, originally posted by RabbitsKin »
Can someone 'splain to me exactly how this marriage of old and new takes place?
I find it hard to believe an early body would bolt on to the 964 chassis....

everything Porsche did up to the 996 was an evolution of all their cars....you can take a 924 and bolt up every bit of powertrain and interior to it...with very minor modifiactions.....the same for the 911....you can swap back and forth....even the 914-4 and 914-6 and 911 can swap drivetrain and suspension with liitle to no mods.
Porsche just makes it easy as they only upgrade/change what needs improvement. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Re: Porsche 911 300R (.LSinLV.)

Quote, originally posted by .LSinLV. »

everything Porsche did up to the 996 was an evolution of all their cars....you can take a 924 and bolt up every bit of powertrain and interior to it...with very minor modifiactions.....the same for the 911....you can swap back and forth....even the 914-4 and 914-6 and 911 can swap drivetrain and suspension with liitle to no mods.
Porsche just makes it easy as they only upgrade/change what needs improvement. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This really makes me want an old 911

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Re: Porsche 911 300R (01tj)

That is my new lottery car!

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Re: Porsche 911 300R (a2a4raddo)

Did some more reading, and it sounds like they keep the core of the 964 body. There is metal work involved in the front fenders and hood, plus custom GRP bumper covers and rear ducktail. So it basically IS a 964, with enough retro touches to look pretty convincing. The wheels are custom 3-piece assemblies, and the whole car is built-to-order.
A+ job, this just replaced a 1970 911 as my ultimate lust-car

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Porsche 911 300R (Mikedav)

Quote, originally posted by .LSinLV. »

I assume this applies up to the 964, so you couldn't, say, 're-body' a 996 or 997? Even a 964 as a base with an old skool body would be fabulous. Shames it's £85k....I was at the lights next to a totally original early 70s 911 and I spent the entire time staring at it. The lightness of the glass structure (thin pillars, tall glass), the simplicity of the bodywork...old cars with fewer crash regs and less metal are just prettier than modern ones.

·
Registered
22,348 Posts
Re: Porsche 911 300R (Mikedav)

Quote, originally posted by Mikedav »

I assume this applies up to the 964, so you couldn't, say, 're-body' a 996 or 997?

It stopped at the 993. That's why you find (well, maybe not in the UK but in the US) "updated" cars that look like 964s or 993s but are actually early to mid-70's 911s.

·
Registered
22,348 Posts
Re: Porsche 911 300R (VadGTI)

Here's an example:
Quote »

1983 Porsche 911 SC C2 Conversion - $11000 (Los Angeles)
1983 Porsche 911 SC Carrera 2 Conversion; C2 Package includes bumpers/mirrors/lights/17 inch cup rims/electric tail and sunroof; Polar Silver exterior Black leather interior; 3.2L Carrera Engine; Door Panels from a 1995 Porsche 993; Windows out of a 1992; New Stereo w/remote. I bought the car in 2002 from a reputable dealership in Venice, CA, called Westide Motor Sports, who specialize in Porsche sales and repairs. When I bought the car they told me that the engine had only 25K miles on the rebuilt 3.2L engine. It's hard to know whether they were tellimg me the truth, but I never had any mechanical problems with the engine. It is my understanding that the 3.2L engines are one of Porsche's most reliable. The car has no oil leaks. The odometer reads 135K miles. The car is clean and reliable.

http://losangeles.craigslist.o....html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.