VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Banned
12,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.jameslist.com/advert/117683/for-sale-porsche-924

The car was registered in Argentina by the football legend Maradona on the 22nd February 1980 when Maradona was only 19 years old. Perhaps the only car registered solely in his name from the time of his football career.

He sold the car just before being transferred to the Spanish football club Barcelona. Owned since by serious collectors who has kept the car in very good condition. Comes with all original papers and certificates stating that this is indeed Diego Armando Maradona's car.

Contact us for more information on this piece of football history.

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Armando Maradona is apparently one of the greatest football (soccer) players of all time. you'd have to be a MEGA collector to shell out that much cash for his car. stuff like this isn't priced for enthusiasts: it's priced for people who have checking accounts that reach into the 8 to 10 digit area. i could foresee a far east or middle eastern collector paying that much especially if they are a football fan: which just about everyone there is.

there's a lot of other historic cars you could get for that price however.

obin :beer::beer:

· Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2002 Suburban 2500
21,219 Posts
Why do people collect anything they didn't design or build or make themselves? Why does anything have "historical significance?" Why should anyone care what any single human being has ever done before?

Or maybe...

:laugh: ;)

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Or Elvis' Continental Mark II, or the Queen of England's limo. I don't even understand people that collect signatures. Makes no sense to me, but that's just my opinion.
i've met people who won't own a car that's older than 3 years. once the car gets that old they go and lease a new one because they're afraid of doing maintenance. to each their own i guess.

obin ;)

· Registered
25,630 Posts
i've met people who won't own a car that's older than 3 years. once the car gets that old they go and lease a new one because they're afraid of doing maintenance. to each their own i guess.

obin ;)

Agreed. If a car wasn't special enough for the famous owner to keep, why should anyone else give a rat's ass about it?

Elvis' '56 Continental Mark II went for $250K unrestored when a "nobody" Mark II was going for $50K fully restored.

Makes no sense to me.

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Agreed. If a car wasn't special enough for the famous owner to keep, why should anyone else give a rat's ass about it?

Elvis' '56 Continental Mark II went for $250K unrestored when a "nobody" Mark II was going for $50K fully restored.

Makes no sense to me.
on the other hand i remember Mario Andretti's Lotus Europa going for a steal of a price. the car went for less than $10k. i've also seen many race cars owned by famous people going for a fraction of what you'd think they would go for. sometimes the collector's market is a bit nutty.

back on topic for this car the sale is going on during the World Cup. i think that has a bit to do with the asking price.

obin

· Registered
35,288 Posts
I wouldn't pay 500k on a low-end Porsche own by someone I never heard of.

But that is just me.
...and somewhere in Saudi Arabia there's someone who would say the same thing about Reggie Jackson's Camaro.

obin ;)

· Registered
13,367 Posts
Star appeal only adds so much to a car's value. It adds more if the star was a car guy and was well known for their cars. It adds less value if the guy wasn't a car guy. Just look at Reggie Jackson's muscle cars - his fame as a MLB player doesn't really add all that much value to the muscle cars he once owned. The ones that sold well did so because they were exceptional cars on their own, irrespective of who owned them. Many of his other muscle cars sold at the market price or only a slight premium. Steve McQueen cars, on the other hand, enjoy tremendous added value as a result of his ownership. People love McQueen cars and motorcycles because of what the man represented as it relates to motor vehicles.

In the case of Maradona I would suspect a jersey or a ball would be worth more than a used 924.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.