VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Re: Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo......Can anyone lend me a few bucks? (tyrolkid)

Heheheh... I get to drool almost every day when it's warm out... the CEO of my company has one just like that, except black on black. It is parked right by the break room where I get my free coke all the time. I just stare out the window at it. My goal is to at least get a ride in it this summer.
~Pete

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

hate to poop on your parade but mechanically those cars are nightmares. every time i see one i say "wow, very nice", then smile, and run away.
964s are ok once you dump half your retirement into making them reliable. after you get rif of the Freudenberg flywheel, fix the distributor belt (in the NA cars), and solve the incessant oil leaking problems created by the gasketless engine, you only have the other half dozen problems left
there was a guy last year with a 964 Turbo that he could NOT get to stop shooting oil all over the place. he eventually had to thread the oil dipstick tube and put a bolt in it so that oil wouldn't blast all over the engine bay. of course oil still found a way to creep by. and this is AFTER dumping $50,000 into the car.
Q: Why are 964s like dogs?
A: Because they both like riding in the backs of trucks.
obin

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo......Can anyone lend me a few bucks? (Obin Robinson)

Obin, if I ever get a chance to get a Porsche someday, you're going with me to pick it out.......

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo......Can anyone lend me a few bucks? (VW97Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by VW97Jetta »
Obin, if I ever get a chance to get a Porsche someday, you're going with me to pick it out.......

no problem at all
. i've helped a bunch of people out picking cars. just shoot me a message long beforehand

obin

·
Registered
658 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »
hate to poop on your parade but mechanically those cars are nightmares. every time i see one i say "wow, very nice", then smile, and run away.
964s are ok once you dump half your retirement into making them reliable. after you get rif of the Freudenberg flywheel, fix the distributor belt (in the NA cars), and solve the incessant oil leaking problems created by the gasketless engine, you only have the other half dozen problems left
there was a guy last year with a 964 Turbo that he could NOT get to stop shooting oil all over the place. he eventually had to thread the oil dipstick tube and put a bolt in it so that oil wouldn't blast all over the engine bay. of course oil still found a way to creep by. and this is AFTER dumping $50,000 into the car.
Q: Why are 964s like dogs?
A: Because they both like riding in the backs of trucks.
obin

Yeah well, if you can afford this kind of car, I don't think sinking 50k is much of a deal to these people.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Re: Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo......Can anyone lend me a few bucks? (PassatB5.5)

Quote, originally posted by PassatB5.5 »

Yeah well, if you can afford this kind of car, I don't think sinking 50k is much of a deal to these people.

I dont know how much these cars go for, but I imagine it is not much more than 50K, so I dont think most people would want to spend the value of the car keeping it running.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo......Can anyone lend me a few bucks? (Grinch337)

Quote, originally posted by Grinch337 »

I dont know how much these cars go for, but I imagine it is not much more than 50K, so I dont think most people would want to spend the value of the car keeping it running.

it becomes a big deal to some of them. it really depends on the Porsche owner. you have two major types:
1) ones that will sink insane amounts of money into a car because they really like the car. they don't care how much they spend but they try to hide their anger when someone in a $10k 944 turbo or $15k 928S4 zips by them especially after they spent $50k just to keep their car running.
2) ones that just have a Porsche because it's a nice car and lots of fun to drive. $50k is $50k though and if the Porsche gets too expensive then they will go out and buy a new Corvette, or a Subaru STI, or another Porsche that isn't a money pit.
964s are great cars, don't get me wrong... but they're something that i run away from because of the mechanical nightmare that i've seen them become. ever look at the engine compartment on one of those turbos? you need hands 1/4" wide to reach some of that stuff. you really question HOW they got those parts in there and then there's the sinking feeling that goes "oh man, something tells me i'm going to have to take this entire engine out just to reach that little $5 part"
993s are better cars mechanically, electronically, performance, and handling wise. i once had a dream a bought a 964, but when i woke up i thought "man, why would i ever go out and do something like that?"
of course if you're the type that has a dream car, then go for it! ignore the mechanical gremlins and enjoy the experience. i've been fiending for a Maserati Biturbo but i know how bad they are mechanically. doesn't mean i don't want one, but it does mean that the only way i'd get one is if i came across $10,000 and said "how can i totally waste this money?"
obin

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Granted, I'm more of a fan of the SC cars than the turbos but as far as actual reliability, I thought the 993s were considered kinda poor and many Porsche people recommended the latest 964s and the 996s (which get very expensive very quick) over the 993s. I've driven two 4-speed 930s and many SCs and for my money, the level of performance I'm comfortable with extracting in directions other that straight forward and all headaches concerned, the SCs put a smile on my face everytime. Friend of mine (that I don't keep in contact with anymore) has a 78 Turbo and while it's really a blast to drive, I can't imagine pulling the engine out of my car every 15,000 miles which seems to be the generally accepted maintainence routine!
In your opinion, comparing the NA cars, are the 993s worth that much more than the 964s due to reliability and ease of work? I'm pretty well set in getting a 78-82 911SC as my next project and have talked with several folks at length but would be glad to listen to anyone's opinion on the subject.
Something like this would be ideal:

·
Registered
8,077 Posts

That's second to my favorite. At one point in time it was my favorite.
Speedline wheels, etc. 3.6 liter. Dual outlet exhaust.
At this point they are way over priced though.
The 993 Turbo is my favorite Turbo

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo......Can anyone lend me a few bucks? (cratz2)

Quote, originally posted by cratz2 »
Granted, I'm more of a fan of the SC cars than the turbos but as far as actual reliability, I thought the 993s were considered kinda poor and many Porsche people recommended the latest 964s and the 996s (which get very expensive very quick) over the 993s.
In your opinion, comparing the NA cars, are the 993s worth that much more than the 964s due to reliability and ease of work? I'm pretty well set in getting a 78-82 911SC as my next project and have talked with several folks at length but would be glad to listen to anyone's opinion on the subject.
Something like this would be ideal:

the 993 was basically the car that fixed all the problems with the air-cooled 911 series. it was sort of like a "we have only one last chance to do this so let's do it right" car. i'd take ANY 993 over any 964, bar none. but if you want simplicity and fun, i'd also recommend a 911 SC over any of the 964 cars. the 911SC is simply a wonderful car. i hardly hear anyone complaining about anything in them. bulletproof to the max. these are the kinds of cars that make people think 'wow, that's a great looking Porsche and that guy drives it all the time'.
the 911SC is easier to work on, and cheaper (in general) also to work on. built well, etc. i can't praise it high enough. if you want a rear-engined Porsche that won't sink you into debt, will start every time you turn the key, and will strike fear into the hearts of older 911 owners when they repeatedly see its taillights on the track... that's your car.
about the only thing the 964 strikes fear into the heart of is your bank account.
some 911SC info:
http://www.adelgigs.com/911sc.htm
if i had the cash (and the will) to realistically buy any 911 ever made and the criteria was realiability, then handling, then performance.. i'd take the cars in this order:
1) 996
2) 993
3) 911SC
4) 911E
5) 964
mind you that's my personal preference list. it's not a list of "these are the best cars Porsche ever made". that list is built on working around the cars, and what the flies and little birdies on the walls of garages tell me
. never overlook the super-simple Porsche 911E. that is a great lightweight rear-engined Porsche that can still turn heads. just enough power to keep you out of too much trouble also. i'd take 4 of them (and rather pay for repairs on 4 of them) than on one 964.
good luck!
obin

·
Registered
16,337 Posts

Uggghhh.
The Corrado was bad enough. I can't imagine owning a 964 Turbo and having to take it to the shop every two weeks. What a total PITA. And you wonder why people go out and buy cars like the S2000. Damn thing has been bulletproof, and it really adds to the overall experience of ownership.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo......Can anyone lend me a few bucks? (Rob)

Quote, originally posted by Rob »
Uggghhh.
The Corrado was bad enough. I can't imagine owning a 964 Turbo and having to take it to the shop every two weeks. What a total PITA. And you wonder why people go out and buy cars like the S2000. Damn thing has been bulletproof, and it really adds to the overall experience of ownership.

funny you should mention the S2000. a local friend of ours had a Porsche 944S2 from 1989 to 2000 and drove it jsut about daily. i used to see that car in deep snow, and on hot summer days. it was taken to the track, to autocrosses, to rallies... he drove it like it was a beater and after all those years all the car ever needed was gas, oil, tires, and scheduled maintenance items (belts, hoses, coolant, brake fluid, etc).
after 11 years he got a Honda S2000. i asked Skip how he could compare the two cars and he said that the S2000 had a few surprises in store (because it was new at that point) but that he loved it just as much as the 944S2. going from Porsche to Honda wasn't a "let me get something more reliable" experience but a "i have been driving this car for over a decade and i want something newer" situation.
i dunno, if it was me, i'd have just gotten a 968

obin

·
Registered
11,304 Posts

thats pretty sweet, but ill take the new 997 over that http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Re: Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo......Can anyone lend me a few bucks? (fitch)

The 3.6 is my favorite Turbo ever. I never knew how unreliable it was, such a shame.

·
Registered
14,676 Posts

BEst quote of the day: "about the only thing the 964 strikes fear into the heart of is your bank account." Hehehe.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts