VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just noticed how cheep they are selling for...97-98 models that look to be clean and with under 70k miles are listed for $17-20k. 2800lbs, mid engine, rwd, 201hp flat 6. The base 201hp isnt going to take on a S2000 at the stoplights but thats not what my driving tastes are these days anyway. Dropped down a few inches with some multi peice wheels and a wide open exhaust and it would be one pimp ride.
Keeping it on the road is another issue and probably why they are selling so cheep. Getting into the engine bay is not a simple issue and then comes parts and insurance.

· Registered
1,286 Posts
Re: Porsche Boxster Opinions (AK-Mabe)

Quote, originally posted by AK-Mabe »

I just noticed how cheep they are selling for...97-98 models that look to be clean and with under 70k miles are listed for $17-20k. 2800lbs, mid engine, rwd, 201hp flat 6. The base 201hp isnt going to take on a S2000 at the stoplights but thats not what my driving tastes are these days anyway. Dropped down a few inches with some multi peice wheels and a wide open exhaust and it would be one pimp ride.
Keeping it on the road is another issue and probably why they are selling so cheep. Getting into the engine bay is not a simple issue and then comes parts and insurance.

I would suggest keeping it on the road is as easy as any car I have ever driven. Where have you heard that it is tail-happy? Oh ... maintainence? My bad.

I love the car - no personal experience with reliability of the cars.

Modified by SVTFecus at 4:15 AM 1-14-2004

· Registered
7,142 Posts

How tall are you? I'm 5'11...and when I sit in a Boxster my knees are next to my ears. I'm too big for the car, so naturally I don't like it.
Now the 911, well that's a different story

· Registered
23,044 Posts

Boxster is not about power, its about how balanced the handling. Its the best handling car I have ever driven even if its a 2.5. Go for it if it got excellent condition.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
Re: Porsche Boxster Opinions (SVTFecus)

I put over 10K on a 2002 Boxster. AutoX a bunch of times. Overall, fantastic car. Great handling (Really, really great handling). Great build quality. Not anywhere close to crazy power but enough, although, keep in mind the 02 has a few more horses than the previous years.
The action of the power top was first grade, and for some reason, the car got tons and tons of looks by almost everyone (if that's your thing).
Cons: Pretty much everything I would improve upon the base Boxster is already taken care of by Porsche, they call it the Boxster S

If I were to go back to the Boxster, it would without a doubt be a newer (01-03) Boxster S. Pretty much perfect right out the box.

Modified by bugatti212 at 5:16 AM 1-14-2004

· Banned
697 Posts
I wouldn't go anything less than a Boxster S which is comparable to the S2000 in all out performance.
The regular Boxster needs more stick.
Add 18" Fikse wheels, lower, Tequipment exhaust, and full aero kit... one sweet ride.

· Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,373 Posts
Re: Porsche Boxster Opinions (Y2kSI)

they are a perfect balance, sound incredible, and look great. about the 5'11" guy not fitting- i'm ~6' and I fit with room to spare... i've driven both the boxster (2001 non-s) and an s2000 (2001). the boxster sounds, uh, different (better to me), was wayyy more roomy, much more civilized. the s2000 was cramped, noisy, and raw. both have their strenghts...
the s2k has the whole reliability thing going for it, but the boxster has the whole porsche thing going. if you do get a boxster, go for a newer one. i hear that the early ones (97-99?) had problems w/the engine, and if the battery goes dead you have to get it towed. the battery posts are in the electrically popped trunk. whoops. they fixed it on the newer ones, though.
its a tough call.
i had a video somewhere too... cant seem to find it though.

· Registered
7,842 Posts
Re: (tjl)

if you can find a super clean one and pick it up for about $15k then you got a great ride and you can take the 3 grand and use it on performance upgrades when the time comes. learn the car first, then push more power out of it. fun rides.

· Registered
4,714 Posts
Re: Porsche Boxster Opinions (Samson)

Quote, originally posted by Samson »
the boxster sounds, uh, different, was wayyy more roomy, much more civilized. the s2000 was cramped, noisy, and raw. both have their strenghts...

My experience with both is about the same

· Banned
32,048 Posts
Re: Porsche Boxster Opinions (A4Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by A4Jetta »
Boxster is not about power, its about how balanced the handling. Its the best handling car I have ever driven even if its a 2.5. Go for it if it got excellent condition.

That's it. It's the modern day 914-6, although Porsche will NEVER admit it!

· Registered
17,633 Posts
Re: Porsche Boxster Opinions (A4Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by A4Jetta »

? Rediculous. I'm 6'2 and I drive a Miata. I've gotten into Boxsters without much problems. Both cars fit like a glove, but neither are impossible. I think 36" inseams are the limit though. My brother is an inch taller than me, and he can't stand it.
As for Power, I don't get what the hangup is. You can always tune the cars, but power isn't the point anyway. The only true advantage I see the "S" model having over the base are the light weight suspension parts. If you're buying new, the price difference in a base and an "S" is quite extraordinary. Even on the used market, the "S" models are more expensive...
But if you're going to be driving around town and occasionally AutoXing, then a base model should be just fine anyway. It's every bit as good a car, despite the "lack" of power. Like the Miata, this car is more about balance than brute force. The 911's are less balanced cars, made to work like pendulums, therefore they need the extra power to toss around. But the Boxster is more about keeping as neutral as possible (thus more stable/controllable).

· Registered
3,070 Posts

The 97-98s have issues with the motor grenading, that's why they aren't very desirable. Otherwise, it's a great ride. Interestingly, the car sounds better from the outside than inside. From the driver seat, you can't hear that symphonic intake/engine sound all that well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.