VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Watercooled alternator too.:)

The block should have the mounting points for our engine mounts etc ready to go, if its anything like a Touareg. Maybe just threads need tapping.

The side mount contains the oil filter housing as well, so that would just need to be swapped.

Good lateral thinking.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
That intake manifold!

It looks promising!

Do you think it will match up to our head? Are they the same!?

DETAILS!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, I was thinking that Dahlback uses, yes a 5cyl Audi but they mount it lat. This should put a turbo right where our washer bottle is no? Granted a custom lower sub-frame would need to be constructed. I dunno really just guessing. Someone would have to work out the engineering on it. Would the trans fit etc?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Well, I was thinking that Dahlback uses, yes a 5cyl Audi but they mount it lat. This should put a turbo right where our stock CIA is no? Granted a custom lower sub-frame would need to be constructed. I dunno really just guessing. Someone would have to work out the engineering on it. Would the trans fit etc?
Uhh, no the trans wont fit.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Guys, the intake manifold...

Does it mount to a stock R32 head?
it wont unless you get the valve cover and relocate half of the crap that goes on that side of the engine (power steering res, coolant reservoir hoses, fuel lines, wires etc. )

plus no space to route your intake and filter unless shaving all the stuff there. in the pass side of the engine bay.

I would imagine this just by looking though more or less could be involved, also assuming that you want to use it in your R32.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
it wont unless you get the valve cover and relocate half of the crap that goes on that side of the engine (power steering res, coolant reservoir hoses, fuel lines, wires etc. )

plus no space to route your intake and filter unless shaving all the stuff there. in the pass side of the engine bay.

I would imagine this just by looking though more or less could be involved, also assuming that you want to use it in your R32.
If it doesn't have the issues as the stock one does, it would be worth it.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Well, I was thinking that Dahlback uses, yes a 5cyl Audi but they mount it lat. This should put a turbo right where our washer bottle is no? Granted a custom lower sub-frame would need to be constructed. I dunno really just guessing. Someone would have to work out the engineering on it. Would the trans fit etc?
you better get one A4 or something like that Quattro like the 034 built with this engine, they have the mounts and everything to make that swap longitudinal.

I dont see this to be an easy fit longitudinally in an R32 like the pic Skella posted, look at the strut mounts possition and how halve of the engine is behind them under the rain tray. we just dont have that space.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
what issues are you experiencing?
Did you read the thread about the stock manifold?

The stock R32 manifold is a HUGE bottleneck.

This one looks more consistent.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Did you read the thread about the stock manifold?

The stock R32 manifold is a HUGE bottleneck.

This one looks more consistent.
It was a long time ago when I read that thread, cant remember the details though. In my opinion you still have the same variable runners that look exactly the same as the one on the R (biggest restriction area if I recall ... tell me if I am wrong), the only difference I see here is the shape of the section on the top of the valve cover. if you are concerned about restriction looking for a 3.6 valve cover and see if it fits, more over get an SRI at best. you might loose some low end tq but up top will be golden.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It's funny you mention that. In my understanding, the stock manifold is about the best all around power you could hope for. The variable ports are good for 40hp/tq down low on my turbo... I've been toying with moving to an SRI, but I know I'll lose that low-end bump I see in my dynos if I do.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
No no.

You guys are not following really.

The stock manifold is great with the change over.

But you get to a point whith mods where you can't get anymore out of the engine because of the intake bottleneck. The Schrick 272 cams are a good example of this.

I am asking about this manifold because it seems to still have the change over, but look beefy.

Mind you I am looking at c0ck pictures, so it is hard to tell....

Does anyone have one of these in hand, or ever had one?

If not, we are just playing armchair-engineer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.