VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on doing this to my Tristar. I've got a section of the Porsche dashboard, and the gauges.
I was hoping to see a few more pictures of converted dashes. Anyone have pics?
Here's the ones I have already, but they don't show much detail.

·
Registered
90 Posts
hi eric was talking to mr claer a few years ago and to top up your brake resevoir you remove 2 guages then shine a light down one guage hole and top up your corrosive brake fluid down a tube hoping you get fluid in resevoir not down back of dash, claer did a older version using 911 guages and 2 small 52mm guages , something like axel winkler sells , myself we tried making a porsche dash and its not easy as fits round the heater vents , so i just made a new plate for original dash and fitted 4 porsche 911 guages the fifth guage the clock now lives in heater panel below my radio,, just needs the earler t3 resevoir fitting as it gives more room behind deeper 911 guages,,,,

·
Registered
90 Posts
just been on axel winklers site but cant see dash but you could always call him,dont think he sells as much fibreglass parts as he used to, or i am shure my friend has one here in uk, if you go on claer site i am shure there is one on blue star coloured van with 3.6 motor if you cant find it email me and i will try to find pic as i have hundreds of claer vans ,,http://www.vw-winkler.de

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: (porker buzz)

This is going to be great project! Eric, would using a 914 tach work better?? or does it even matter - 4cyl = 4 cyl? I know the redline limit would be to low, but that could be adjusted graphically. I like the top binnical cover the best rather than the lower more rounded version. I guess because I've already have the same Club Sport wheel

Modified by RS transporter at 8:52 AM 11-2-2007

·
Registered
90 Posts
on my porsche dash i have used 3 mid 911 guages the speedo is a late 914 2.0 150mph speedo the 5th guage is mounted below in the heater duct panel below the radio ottienger style, this 914 guage is compatable with the vw gearbox and matches the later 6 cylinder guages in style ,,

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I found this on his site:

80 euros... being a one peice unit, it's going to be difficult to add or check the brake fluid like you mentioned. I think a 2 piece design might be a better idea.
I like the boxier style top cover also.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (Vanagon-S)

Here's what I have so far...
I bought a Carrera dash section, some gauges from a 93 Carrera, and I had a dashboard from a 91 Carat.
I started to trim the Porsche dash section today. I'm thinking that I'll just fabricate mounts to attach the Porsche section exactly where the original Vanagon pod used to go.

·
Registered
90 Posts
thats the winkler dash eric , but like most winkler parts will need fettling, did not know you were into minis, friend of mine has 2 a 35mile from new cooper and a ex paddy hopkirk rallye car both worth serious money, been offered £ 130,000 each of japanese collectors, ,even has some original monte carlo plates what are highly collective, have you seen the french bay window porsche van where they have modified the porsche dash to fit,,,

·
Registered
43 Posts

Eric, here's some more ideas [I prefer your mock up better than this final project] This is a cross post from theSamba. It's a Vangon with a Porsche 911 engine for sale in the classifieds. Interesting...

Modified by RS transporter at 6:02 PM 11-2-2007

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

Eric, what does the back of that Porsche section look like? Is it all one piece/unit?
Quote, originally posted by Vanagon-S »

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (iamsuperdan)

That would be a cool thing to do, but the column doesn't change. I'm still thinking about headlight switch placement.
I like the pull style from the 911.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Would it be close to possible to use the entire 964 dash? I was thinking you could do a full swap. It would take a bit of fabrication but that should be no problem for you.
Might have to widen it. It would be really cool to have the full Porsche dash uper and lower in the Vanagon.
I have seen a lot of Golf's and Corrado's with full Audi TT dash swaps.
Looks good so far ! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Re: (RS transporter)

Quote, originally posted by RS transporter »

Modified by RS transporter at 6:02 PM 11-2-2007

gaaaak.
that looks henious.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: (jordanvw)

Quote, originally posted by jordanvw »

gaaaak.
that looks henious.

I know, I know, sorry you had to see it. Eric asked for pictures of T3s with Porsche dashes. Maybe it's what not to do. I'm sure that Eric's craftyness will outdo this easysqueezy. Looks like the Porsche dash vinyl was cobbed in there too. At *least* the Vanagon has a 911 engine in it, you've got to give them credit for that.
Here's an example
You know when you built your first wooden gokart, the steering linkage was just 'bout hooked up, the tires were barely bolted on - you were just dying to try it out - and couldn't wait any longer. I'm sure that's what happened to this project. They got the engine in and fired it up. OMG !!! The wail of the 911 engine killed 'em right there. Gezum crow let's drive the damm thing!!!
[off topic, supports the gokart theory]
Me and my younger siblings building our first wooden "Porsche 911 inspired" gokart, circa 1971.

[carry on...]
I'm sure Eric's dash will look better than my cobbed up wooden one, can't wait to see it all unfold.

Modified by RS transporter at 4:47 PM 11-5-2007

1 - 19 of 19 Posts