VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
500e, 124 Spider, Exige
22,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Porsche Cayenne Convertible was developed in 2002 but never publicly announced until now in 2022:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Designers couldn't agree on the rear end so two treatments were grafted on:
Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle registration plate

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Left side roughly resembles the Carrera GT; right the later Panamera:
Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Porsche has revealed a previously unseen convertible prototype of the original Cayenne that pre-dates the Range Rover Evoque Convertible by 14 years.

The prototype Cayenne, revealed as part of the model’s 20-year anniversary, is not a functional road car. It is instead a ‘package function model’ - essentially a rolling chassis used for design and ergonomic development throughout 2002.

According to Porsche, the aim of this project was to determine whether a Targa-topped Cayenne would remain comfortable for rear passengers, and to develop a fast-folding soft-top.

The convertible Cayenne was not developed any further because Porsche doubted its profitability and was too divided over whether it complemented the rest of the range stylistically.

Michael Mauer, current chief designer at Porsche, said: “An SUV as a convertible is a challenge both aesthetically and formally.”

Porsche also considered coupé and long-wheelbase, seven-seat variants of the Cayenne but did not develop these as far as the convertible.

·
Registered
2018 Golf Sportwagen 4motion
4,569 Posts
Came in expecting 2024 production Cayenne convertible, leaving annoyed

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Rear end is highly upsetting and has ruined my day.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When I saw the Phaeton prototype that was never produced, I was somber for the remainder of the day.

When I first saw the 1965 Karmann Ghia roadster concept that was never built, I was also somber.

A convertible Cayenne never being produced initiates a sigh of relief. And here I thought the Germans were crazy with the coupe SUV fad. I can't even look at that thing for any length of time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts