1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this:
Porsche Varrera:

It looks FWD
I googled the net, and there's not much info to be found...
Something said it didn't go to the proto stage...
As we all know, real Porsches are rear-engined
Well except for the first hundred thousand 356s.
Any other info?

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Re: Porsche Varrera (.je)

It is a "study" as it is called, of the VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra/Ford Galaxy triplets. That's all I know about it, I never saw the pics until Martijn posted them a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
23,277 Posts

that looks like an old concept, and while a porsche SUV may be blasphamous a porsche minivan is just crazy, so I refuse to vote.

·
Premium Member
11,254 Posts

Quote, originally posted by .je »

what do you mean by that?

As for the minivan, I think it looks like some car magazine cut an pasted a Porsche badge on it. I'm not voting either.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts

These were photoshops by AutoBild shortly after the Sharalhambraxies came out (so ca. 1994/95). I remember seeing it in print. That´s when everybody thought minivans were the next big thing in Europe, but they never caught on here as much as predicted. So AutoBild then speculated there might be a Porsche Van, too.
If these speculations were based on actual Porsche plans or just AutoBild inventions, I don´t know. Can´t remember the possible technical specs either.
As we all know the plans never materialized, but the pics still float the web.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

I am sure the end of the world will soon come to an end if Porsche really comes out with this damn thing.

G

·
Re: Porsche Varrera (Eolair)

Actually, I believe that these are actual pictures of a real van, taken at night and enhanced digitally (using what digital technology was available at the time for this sort of thing). Porsche toyed with the idea, but obviously never built it.
I wouldn't be surprised one bit to find this thing parked in a garage somewhere in Stutgart, covered with dust. I suspect Porsche allowed the spy photos to be taken so that it could guage public reaction to the van without ever actually admitting to its existence, something they would not have been able to do had it been shown off at, say, an autoshow.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

Found this:
Porsche Varrera:

It looks FWD
I googled the net, and there's not much info to be found...
Something said it didn't go to the proto stage...
Any other info?

any other info? yeah that isn't a Porsche
, just like Eolair said. i can't believe people are still falling for this almost a decade later. of course we all know why they wouldn't build such a thing..
because the water cooled front-mounted engine would dominate every other Porsche that was 3x the price

obin

Modified by Obin Robinson at 5:33 PM 6-29-2003

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Forgive me if this is a joke my feeble mind cant understand, but the 356 was rear engine, rear wheel drive....

·
Registered
5,542 Posts

Porsche's styling cues translate a lot better on the Cayenne's shape/size than onto a minivan, that's for sure. That prototype/test mule/whatever doesn't look remotely Porsche-like.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

for what it's worth... Porsche has been working on Minivans with VW since the 1960s. the Porsche minivan idea is as old as the 911 (if not older, i'll have to double check). we all know that they've been making offroad vehicles longer than they have been making GTs, so the minivan concept fits right in with Porsche engineering philosophy.
obin

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Porsche Varrera (vwaudichris)

Quote, originally posted by vwaudichris »
Real Porsches are supposed to look good........which is more than I can even say for the Cayenne........

"real" Porsches are supposed to have a profile consisting of 3 intersecting arcs with an Increase in visual mass as your eyes move to the rear of the vehicle.
whis is EXACTLY what the Cayenne has.
obin

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
Re: Porsche Varrera (vwaudichris)

Quote, originally posted by vwaudichris »
Real Porsches are supposed to look good........which is more than I can even say for the Cayenne........

I have to disagree with that. Not to get off topic, but if I could afford one I would be driving a Cayenne Turbo. The only thing Porsche did wrong with it was in the weight of it. I mean the thing weights almost 3 tons.
As for the minivan, no thanks.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Porsche Varrera (NBracer8)

Styling aside, Porsche really needs to put a better interior in the Cayenne when a less expensive Touareg and FX have far superior materials and build quality.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts