VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the changes made by porsche to the VR6 to put it in the Cayenne? Are they just like exhaust and ECU programing? or have they done camshafts or something like that?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Re: Porsche VR6 and VW's VR6? (Giancarlo)

i dont know but we have the same name http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: Porsche VR6 and VW's VR6? (Giancarlo)

Quote, originally posted by Giancarlo »
What are the changes made by porsche to the VR6 to put it in the Cayenne? Are they just like exhaust and ECU programing? or have they done camshafts or something like that?

I'm thinking ECU programming, while its making more HP than the 3.2 in the Touareg, it is not making more than the TT 3.2 (rumoured to be indentical to the R32)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Re: Porsche VR6 and VW's VR6? (gizmopop)

Little specs like manufacturer's rated HP are worthless. I highly doubt there is anything dramatic in the Porsche that is superior to the Touareg 3.2 VR6. On equal platforms, such as R32 vs. TT 3.2, who would you expect to see more power rated from? The Audi. Same goes for the Porsche vs. the Touareg, the Porsche will of course spout a higher number. The Cayenne is selling so horribly that they are needing to offer an almost affordable SUV since you pay nearly double the price of a Touareg which IMHO is much more elegant. I saw a base model Cayenne at the local mall for $66k with only HIDs, no NAV, no air-ride suspension, non-turbo etc....what a joke. I can get a LOADED VR6 3.2L at the VW dealer that I used to work at for $38k out the door. That includes NAV, HIDs, Air-Ride, and VR6 with plenty of room to install a turbo kit. The Cayenne is the best thing that happened to the Touareg since it's priced so different. You can pay up to $90k+ for the Cayenne loaded...that's just sad. The Bird Man from Ca$h Money Millionares has a nasty green Cayenne, so I don't want one.
But anyway...enough ranting, I think you see what I'm reffering to. The negligable difference in HP is due to, or could easily be made up by installing a custom high-flow catylitic converter and better flowing mufflers. You'd get better sound, spend far less, and get better power output with everthing else being equal.
Everyone used to, and I'm sure still, bickers that a Corrado VR6 makes more power than one in a GTI or GLX Mk3...something like a supposed 6hp that you would never feel anyway. If anything made that true it might be the catylitic converter. People seem to forget about vehicle weight and other items that add up to better performance.
~DVScott

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Re: Porsche VR6 and VW's VR6? (KingVR)

You can say what you like about the Cayenne but if you get behind the wheel of a 450hp twin turbo suv it might change your opinion. I have personally driven the turbo model and all i can say is wow. That baby pulls.
On a side note Bird Man having a green one does kind of kill the luster.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Re: Porsche VR6 and VW's VR6? (Bundaho)

I dont know who the "Bird Man" is but Im sure that the Cayenne is worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Re: Porsche VR6 and VW's VR6? (Bundaho)

Quote, originally posted by Bundaho »

On a side note Bird Man having a green one does kind of kill the luster.

heh.. i saw his cayenne in the last issue of DUB magazine.. pretty tight looking green with black wheels. too bad he didnt lay down custom paint like his other cars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts