VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an oppertunity to pick up a complete 2.0 head for pretty much free. My question is how much does a typical P&P job cost and is this something thats worthwhile to do? I read a few old topics on the matter and everyone seems to think its a good idea, so the only limiting factor would be how much it would cost me in the longrun.
I just figured since I'm going to be turbo-ing the car soon it might be worth it for me to pick this thing up, P&P it, buy the copper gasket (or do pistons) and install it all as one piece. What do you guys think?
Also, does it matter if the head is OBD1 or 2 since my car is OBD2?

[Modified by kkozma, 10:30 AM 2-11-2002]

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: Port & Polishing... (kkozma)

Neuspeed told me it would cost about $800, but their guy was going to do some things like making the valve guides flush with the head surface.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Re: Port & Polishing... (JettaRed)

port and polishing is really an art. its not like joe down the street has a P&P, and you get one too, therefore your equal. Every place does it a bit differently. You kind of get what you pay for. Just to let you know, a nascar spec engine, although a V8 with more valves, costs close to 30,000 for a port and polish to thier specs. I know, "nascar sucks", but thoes cars are still fast with limited technology. http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/head01.htm
this link gives some good info about the job. I know that I would never just send my head out to any company and "trust" they know how to do the job correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.