VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Re: Ported and Polished MKIII 2.0s? (veedub11)

I've had it done. It cost me $700CDN along with complete head rebuild (new valves, guides and seals). I'm not really sure of the gains since i also installed a TT266 cam at the same time, but with the cam the car felt like a whole new beast.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: Ported and Polished MKIII 2.0s? (gtibunny8v)

This makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of maybe finding a used head and getting it "blessed" by a local machine shop, but is there anything specific I should tell them to do. Basically I am looking for specs. Just off the top of my brain I was thinking of getting a little bit of port cleaning, a valve job and shaving the head to increase compression, but from what I hear the x-flow head is really nice from the factory so what actually should be done to increase power.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Re: Ported and Polished MKIII 2.0s? (juggalo)

you will see the largest gains in flow on a x-flow head by going with larger valves and blending the bowls into the ports
the actual ports on the pre96 heads are nice and just need to be smoothed out a bit
96 and newer heads have a restriction in the side of the port to promote swirling but flow less air with higher valve lifts.
if you take a look at the heads, the valves are the samllest part of the port and they are smaller then the actual port at that point.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: Ported and Polished MKIII 2.0s? (silvervdubs99)

quote:[HR][/HR]you will see the largest gains in flow on a x-flow head by going with larger valves and blending the bowls into the ports
the actual ports on the pre96 heads are nice and just need to be smoothed out a bit
96 and newer heads have a restriction in the side of the port to promote swirling but flow less air with higher valve lifts.
if you take a look at the heads, the valves are the samllest part of the port and they are smaller then the actual port at that point.
[HR][/HR]​
thanx bro, so I should find an OBD-1 head and have that worked over? Anyone tried running headwork and Forced induction? (eurotech s/c
)

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Ported and Polished MKIII 2.0s? (gti_8v)

Well I made the trip to NGP on Sat. and talk to one of their experts. He recomended the OBD I head with a bunch of other stuff. I am gonna call him today to get an estimate, will post the results.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Re: Ported and Polished MKIII 2.0s? (veedub11)

the xflow set up on the head already is a great flowing head, so obviosly a port job will improve its performance.. But i would recomend having a shop that knows this head to do it... there are a few spots that if you open up to much you will punch through to returns....
In the future Albion will be providing CNCed heads.. obviosly the adavantage to this is everyone being done the same so the performance gains can be guaranteed... something to look for this xmas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts