VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. The day before yesterday i had my springs and k&n filter put on my car by a local tuner (Metrick Methods). A few nights before this i noticed that my rear tail light was out and i was thouroughly pissed off seeing that the car only has 2000 miles on it. I turned my lights on and had my girlfriend go around back to see if the light was out. I got out of the car (swearing) and she tapped the tail light and it came back on. It stayed on until the day after i got my springs on and then went out again. The next morning I went to the dealership expecting them to make me pay for replacement of the light by blaming the "rough" ride of my new springs for causing a short in the light.
Well heres the funny part. I forgot that i still had the box that my omp springs came in, with the stock springs in it, in the trunk. The service manger comes out to the car with every intention of replacing the bulb for free when he opens the trunk and theres that huge box staring at him in all its glory. He looks at the box, and then at me and just smiles. Without a word he proceeds to replace the bulb for free. After an awkward moment I jokingly turned to him and said "No sir, i havent made any aftermarket modifications to my car" and pointed at the box. He just laughed and said "we see a lot of modded cars and we tend to look the other way" I almost pissed my self with excitement.
I realize that a broken tail light isnt exactly a clutch or a tranny but i now feel more comfortable modding my car with less worry about warranty issues.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Re: POSITIVE dealer experience...(not TOO long) (GTImonty)

You are allowed to mod your car man......by law, at least to a reasonable degree.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Re: POSITIVE dealer experience...(not TOO long) (Matchschtick)

quote:[HR][/HR]You are allowed to mod your car man......by law, at least to a reasonable degree.[HR][/HR]​
Sure that's true, but having a dealer that won even hassle you about it is golden! Hope my dealer will be that way when I buy mine.
James http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: POSITIVE dealer experience...(not TOO long) (Matchschtick)

Although you are legally "allowed" to mod your car it is a common practice at stealerships to link any problems you have, either directly or indirectly, to the modifications made on your car. Drivetrain issues are especially susceptible to stealership creativity. Any clutch, tranny problems will be linked to chipping or any other mod's that increase horsepower or torque.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: POSITIVE dealer experience...(not TOO long) (GTImonty)

I'm hearing more of these every day http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts