VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold a vehicle to Vroom a few months back and on the hunt for a replacement toy. I've come across a number of vehicles I'm interested in at Carmax/Carvana/Vroom/Shift, but pricing is slightly higher then the rest of the market and they don't negotiate. Extended warranty plans are priced reasonably tho. My brother owns a shop and has done a number of warranty claims on vehicles covered by Carmax without a hitch but I'd like to hear of personal experiences from those that bought a car from Carvana/Vroom/Shift with extended warranty. Do they choose the service center? Have you had claims denied? Etc...

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,552 Posts
I would avoid Carvana, if possible. I had a terrible experience trying to buy a car from them. One of the other members here had a similar experience buying a Mercedes wagon from them, but he ultimately kept the car and dealt with the headache because he wanted the car bad enough.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would avoid Carvana, if possible. I had a terrible experience trying to buy a car from them. One of the other members here had a similar experience buying a Mercedes wagon from them, but he ultimately kept the car and dealt with the headache because he wanted the car bad enough.
Did you buy an extended warranty from them? Did you try returning it? I've read on other forums it's relatively easy to return the car and get your $ back within the first few days

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Yeah stay away from Carvana. That guy he's referencing is me, and what a damn nightmare it was. Their extended warranty is third party and they have pretty much no control over them when they deny claims. It becomes such a huge headache.

To add insult to injury, when I sold my wagon back to Carvana to move across the country (I thought this process would be much better since there are a lot of success stories), it was even worse than buying it.

I requested a check, and they showed up and said sorry our check printing machine is broken. They made me put in my bank act and routing info which was fine as I obviously just wanted to get paid and get on with the move. Then after 5 days of no money, and them insisting they sent the money and telling me too bad we sent it, they finally confessed that they manually took the act info from the iPad, and accidentally transposed one of the routing numbers which caused it to kick back after all that time. Meanwhile they had my car for all that time and I seriously spent hours on the phone with their accounting dept as well as chase since I was understandably worried that my money was nowhere to be found.

After all that, they ended up mailing me a check, but when you stop and look at it they were probably having cash flow issues and make this crap up because I have read multiple stories of this happening to people. They say they can't cut a check, then they transpose a number on the ach, then they finally send out a check, and all the while they gain about a week before they have to actually pay out. In my opinion there is some scam going on there, and I'm just so happy to be done with them. I will never buy or sell from that company again.

As for CarMax, their extended max care warranty is actually very good and an in-house product well received by the industry. However, it can be pretty expensive as they have got wise to people like Doug DeMuro who have abused it so to speak.

I don't know enough about Vroom, but I imagine it is similar to Carvana- a company that thinks its Fortune 500, but really operates like a startup, which ends up becoming a headache for the consumer.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I'd never buy a car from any of these places. I did sell my Elantra to autolendersGO but the process sucked, only positive was they paid what I wanted for the car. They had me mail them the signed title, and when they picked up the car they gave me a regular check, not even a certified check, which took over a week to clear. The whole process was very anxiety provoking.

The prices they sell cars for is RIDICULOUS. They're all priced significantly higher than book value for some reason. I'd look elsewhere. Carmax might be a good bet though.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah stay away from Carvana. That guy he's referencing is me, and what a damn nightmare it was. Their extended warranty is third party and they have pretty much no control over them when they deny claims. It becomes such a huge headache.

As for CarMax, their extended max care warranty is actually very good and an in-house product well received by the industry. However, it can be pretty expensive as they have got wise to people like Doug DeMuro who have abused it so to speak.

I don't know enough about Vroom, but I imagine it is similar to Carvana- a company that thinks its Fortune 500, but really operates like a startup, which ends up becoming a headache for the consumer.
Thank you for the feedback, that is unfortunate to read as Carvana seems to have a decent inventory.

I sold a vehicle I was leasing to Vroom a few months ago that had positive equity in it, the pickup process took a long time but otherwise I was happy overall, their offer beat Carvana, Shift, and Carmax. I'll look into whether their extended warranty is outsourced to a third party similar to Carvana.

I was just at Carmax last night checking out a 2017 F-Type R with 20k miles, their extended warranty for up to 75k miles was $3800ish with $50 deductible, and $2900ish with a $300 deductible. Seems like they have the best program out there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts