VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help! I have a 98 Passat and my sunroof will vent all by itself while I am driving. To shut it I have to turn the dial open and closed a few times. It is kind of annoying, especially if you don't realize it happened and park while it is raining. I once came back to a wet sunroof shade. Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?
P.S. I just joined the club. What a great site. Lots of usefull information.

· Registered
164 Posts
Re: Possessed Sunroof (Ween2004)

Weenman, I will be shipping you 7 knives. This is what you will have to do....
...seriously though, I have not heard of this problem. Sounds like a dealer visit to check for loose/shorted wiring maybe. -pd

· Registered
2,145 Posts
Re: Possessed Sunroof (Ween2004)

Most likely the sunroof controller potentiometer - the 'dial' is the knob on that pot. It's an $80 part IIRC (call Liberty VW), the job takes 15-20 minutes with small hand tools (philips driver, soft grip pliers or vise grips). The POT will collect dust + mousture and the contacts can corrode or short with age (the roof gets a lot of heat/cold).
pop off sunroof fabric panel; pop off dome light cover; remove dome light cover screws (2Xphilips windshield side by the main bulb); remove dome light ass'y; unplug and remove sunroof control board; remove sunroof control knob - held to POT shaft with tension clip so takes a good yank, use soft grip pliers or small vise grips with cloth or other protection and pull straight off away from the POT; remove POT - held on with small nut IIRC the kit includes new hardware; replace POT...replace board etc in reverse order.

· Registered
26 Posts
Re: Possessed Sunroof (si3t2m)

had the same problem when the car was almost new
dealer replaced the electronic module on warranty
fussing with the manual override in heavy rain while riding on the interstate was no fun, though
at this point, I would probably still buy another Passat, but I'm getting dangerously close to becoming indifferent
within the 1st year, I have been to the dealer for these unscheduled stops:
- slight paint defect
- dead radio
- crazy sunroof
- check engine light
- rear side window committed suicide (didn't even leave a note)
- ignition coil recall

· Registered
851 Posts
Re: Possessed Sunroof (ericb49)

If you're handy and want to try to save the $80, you can try disassembling the pot to clean the contacts and 'adjust' (i.e. bend a little) the contact wipers. I lived with problems a few years. Then did that a couple years ago and so far it's been troublefree.
I don't remember the details about how to do it, but it was fairly obvious. Iirc, there's a disk at the back of the pot that can be removed by carefully releasing some tabs. Clean the contacts as needed and gently bend the wipers in the direction to put more pressure on the contacts.

· Registered
2,145 Posts
Re: Possessed Sunroof (passatcabrio)

Quote, originally posted by passatcabrio »
If you're handy and want to try to save the $80, you can try disassembling the pot to clean the contacts and 'adjust' (i.e. bend a little) the contact wipers. I lived with problems a few years. Then did that a couple years ago and so far it's been troublefree.
I don't remember the details about how to do it, but it was fairly obvious. Iirc, there's a disk at the back of the pot that can be removed by carefully releasing some tabs. Clean the contacts as needed and gently bend the wipers in the direction to put more pressure on the contacts.

I tried that first, but some of the contacts on my POT were broken off - hence the erratic self possesed operation.
The part is actually under $50 new from Liberty, I checked through my receipts. As far as B5 repair parts go, this is one of the cheapest and easiest to do yourself - don't be afraid!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.