VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Gti has been grinding second when shifting fast. (Yes, I am pressing the clutch completely in) I just did my 5,000 miles service myelf and replaced the engine oil with Mobil one and the transmission gear oil with mobil 1 synthetic gear oil. Tested and grind is gone. I dont know if it will last, but it is definitely gone now.(and no I didn't change my driving style. Well, just my 2 cents.........
BTW, when I took it in for them to warranty the 2nd gear synchro, surprise surprise, they say te car is "within factory specifications"

·
Registered
346 Posts
Re: Possible 2nd Gear Grind Fix for 2002 Gti's (wolfsburg_de)

on my 01 i changed the gearoil to red line mt-90 and sine i fu*ed up my third syncro due to power shifting the thing was grinding even when i was changing gear slowly...after i put the mt-90 in after 1 week (trip to florida) my third is almost as new and the tranny shifts a lot better...thanks mike

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Re: Possible 2nd Gear Grind Fix for 2002 Gti's (TurbingNYC)

quote:[HR][/HR] i fu*ed up my third syncro due to power shifting the thing was grinding even when i was changing gear slowly[HR][/HR]​
powershifting = no good

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Possible 2nd Gear Grind Fix for 2002 Gti's (scotty_passat)

I have run it, it has helped and we've been in and out of vw transmissions for years. From swingaxles to A4 chassis cars. I am giving you my encounter of what worked for m using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Gear oil. As this is the internet, anyone can press the power button and become an expert. Just my two cents on what worked.................

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Re: Possible 2nd Gear Grind Fix for 2002 Gti's (scotty_passat)

On the flip side on my 95 Jetta GLX using Mobil 1 fixed the 2nd gear grind problem temporarily then it came back. The permanent fix is new syncro...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.