VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a potential job offer in Panama City Beach, FL - anyone from the area or can anyone give me some pros and cons about it? What should I expect? What's the cost of living like? Any advise would be awesome...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: possibly moving to Panama City Beach, should I? (grassfeeder)

its a total ghost town when its not spring, summer, early fall
captain andersons is a kickass place to eat
fishing is good april -- september.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It can be a nice place but it can also get overcrowded at certain times of the year. They don't call it the "******* Riveria" for nothing. I personally would love to live there but that's just my .02. Good luck

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: (AF2nr)

Well I left there about a year ago because I joined the military. I had been there for 4 1/2 years while attending Gulf Coast Community College and the Florida State University satelite campus.
My wife still lives there and works at 1 of the 2 hospitals. The dub scene sucks but there are some cool people. An old friend and vortex member is "stevenek" He's got a 2002 GLI. There are some other water guys and some SERIOUS airheads. There are two VW specific stores. One is basically pure aircooled(Andy's) while the other does ALL VWs and imports(Marty's Discount Import Auto Parts)
Marty's a great friend and has a nice collection of dubs on his land out in the country.
The area is pretty cheap overall as long as you stay away from the beach/water/coast. Anything that touches water will have a higher price. That's common for everywhere though
The weather is hot but nice because you get the breeze from the Gulf. The food is great. Getting in and out of Panama City is kinda funny because it has no real major roads coming into it. It's about 1 hour south of I-10 and 2 hours from the state capital. Hwy 98 runs west out of P.C. to Pensacola and east following the coast. Hwy 231 runs north to I-10
Panama City and Panama City Beach are two completely different areas seperated by a large bridge(Hathaway) During the spring and summer the beach is CRAZY with people. Tourists from all over the nation come because....well I really don't know but they sure do come. So...the commisioners really enjoy all the money therefore PCB has better roads and looks prettier overall.
Overall though, the whole region is kinda small. There is one mall that has everything you need. People often mistake panama city and beaches for being a large place but it's really not.
My opinion...I love it. It's the greatest place in the world. Laid back and beautiful weather. When I retire you better believe it's going to be in P.C.
If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them or I can definitely find out for you
Jason

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: (vdubspeed)

Your at Osan huh? I have been there twice myself. I agree with you about PC though, it is definately on my short list of places I would like to retire to, along with FWB, Destin, or Orange Beach in AL.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: (AF2nr)

Yeah I'm at Osan
I've only got 8 long months to go too.
Anyway I definitely want to come back to P.C. or that area. anything from FWB, Pensacola to P.C or north about 20 miles would make a great place to retire. It's so funny because in P.C. there are so many retirees from the military! I'm sure Fl has the majority of military retirees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts