VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Picked up my 2017 Alltrack S DSG almost 3 years to the day (1/13/18). Three years, 31,000 miles, and several grand in mods and it is the perfect vehicle for me. 350hp/330ftlb, 0-60 in 4.1 sec, 2 child seats in the back, almost always dirty.

The day I brought her home:

The most fun I've had driving her (SCCV Ice Gymkahana)

As she sits today. Perfect.

·
Registered
2019 Golf Alltrack SEL (affectionately named Georgie)
74 Posts
Picked up my 2017 Alltrack S DSG almost 3 years to the day (1/13/18). Three years, 31,000 miles, and several grand in mods and it is the perfect vehicle for me. 350hp/330ftlb, 0-60 in 4.1 sec, 2 child seats in the back, almost always dirty.
That thing looks fantastic! What is your suspension and roof setup? How does it drive compared to stock suspension? It looks planted and just stiff enough to take away the negatives is stock suspension.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
That thing looks fantastic! What is your suspension and roof setup? How does it drive compared to stock suspension? It looks planted and just stiff enough to take away the negatives is stock suspension.
Roof setup is Yakima Timberline towers with Yakima Jetstream bars and a Thule 611 Boxster roof box that I picked up off market place. Suspension is Eibach Prokit springs with Koni FSD shocks. The tires in the last photo are 235/45/18 winters which rub over large bumps and during aggressive cornering. I normally run 235/40/18 tires in the summer and there is no rubbing with those on the same wheels. But to answer your question, it rides very different from stock. There is basically no wasted movement in the suspension, no floating or pogoing over bumps. Sharp bumps/impacts are absorbed well, but otherwise the car remains extremely flat and you feel all the subtle undulations in the road, which I suppose could be off-putting to some folks. But as you mentioned it feels very "planted".

Here's what it usually looks like with the 235/40s

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you get the standard hatch R springs or did you actually get the Euro R Variant springs? If so, where from? If you don't mind me asking. I've read that they are a different set.
I got a set of hatch golf R springs from facebook marketplace for around $150 I believe, and used audi TT rear spring pads to help with the rear sagging. Sits perfectly with this setup even when I have some gear in the back.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

The day I brought her home:

The most fun I've had driving her (SCCV Ice Gymkahana)

As she sits today. Perfect.
Excuse me.. how much horsepower?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Excuse me.. how much horsepower?
350hp/330ftlbs crank as advertised by APR for their 91oct is38 turbo upgrade tune. Is38 turbo, downpipe, intercooler, intake, etc. APR and Unitronic both advertise 350ish crank HP with their is38 tunes with full bolt ons. Many guys in the Alltrack/GSW community have gone this route and based on the 0-60 and 1/4mi times of multiple people running the same setup there isn’t much reason to doubt the published numbers.

But yeah, totally different driving experience than a stock Alltrack. My poor mans Golf R wagon.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
350hp/330ftlbs crank as advertised by APR for their 91oct is38 turbo upgrade tune. Is38 turbo, downpipe, intercooler, intake, etc. APR and Unitronic both advertise 350ish crank HP with their is38 tunes with full bolt ons. Many guys in the Alltrack/GSW community have gone this route and based on the 0-60 and 1/4mi times of multiple people running the same setup there isn’t much reason to doubt the published numbers.

But yeah, totally different driving experience than a stock Alltrack. My poor mans Golf R wagon.
Oh holy ****, you went all out then. Not many folks are doing turbo swaps these days, kudos to you. Anymore if it can't be achieved with a plug in tuner, no one does it.

That has to be an absolute riot to drive, and I see now why you did suspension. The nose dive/squat on stock suspension with that power level would be hilarious.

Is the DSG the same unit as in the Golf R?

·
Registered
624 Posts
2017 MINI Clubman S ALL4 / 6M. This is right after I installed the factory MINI trailer hitch. Found a great deal on a barely used hitch on eBay Germany and shipped to the US.

Mostly stock. I did add some OE front end bracing from the 2020+ Clubman JCW models. Also tried the DINAN Elite tuner but couldn’t tell a difference at all so I returned it.

·
Registered
16,384 Posts
Oh holy ****, you went all out then. Not many folks are doing turbo swaps these days, kudos to you. Anymore if it can't be achieved with a plug in tuner, no one does it.

That has to be an absolute riot to drive, and I see now why you did suspension. The nose dive/squat on stock suspension with that power level would be hilarious.

Is the DSG the same unit as in the Golf R?
fortunately with the 1.8T/2.0T a turbo swap is relatively simple. the IS38 is from the Golf R/S3, so it even reuses the original coolant plumbing, oil plumbing, intake plumbing, and exhaust plumbing. sleeper status is quickly achieved with these Alltrack/Golf Sportwagens. not sure of the transmission codes between Golf R and Alltrack, but I suspect they six speed units are the same.

·
Banned
785 Posts
2017 MINI Clubman S ALL4 / 6M. This is right after I installed the factory MINI trailer hitch. Found a great deal on a barely used hitch on eBay Germany and shipped to the US.

Mostly stock. I did add some OE front end bracing from the 2020+ Clubman JCW models. Also tried the DINAN Elite tuner but couldn’t tell a difference at all so I returned it.

View attachment 62695
That is epic. And thread just keeps coming with the hits 🤓

Kinda miss I the last wagon I owned after watching this thread. Nothing special, just a V6 passat. The previous owner was proud of how he wired the W8 headlamps and he did do a great job wiring them with a nice wiring adapter he made himself. I purchased it just to haul for a couple of weeks. Got a great deal on it because he was not sure what the problem was starting it. After checking it I was pretty sure the starter had gone and indeed aside for the tow and a new starter, I got a steal. I guess the main reason I did not care to let it go was because it was an auto. My knee jerk reaction is to literally get into a driver's seat and stomp my left feet down. Kinda funny when you hit dead air.

·
Registered
1 Posts

2.0/AT junker Jetta I built for my brother. Used to be monochromatic until he hit a big buck at 65 MPH. I repossessed the car and used a Golf parts car to repair it. Scabbed some fresh tubing into the center of the bumper and stole the winter wheel/tire setup off my Beetle.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

That thing is a super sleeper.

121 - 140 of 169 Posts