VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
Re: (Cav)

Quote, originally posted by Cav »

looks best standard in my opinion

factory did it best the first time around, no need to **** with it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: (VWcaddy_LouEville)

Not a huge mod, but I put some Teflon heat shrink tubing onto the pivot points:

To get rid of the rattle of the tail gate. Then for a little added security, I use a band clamp on the slotted hinge:

Plus I rebuilt the latch mechanism so it opens with one finger and closes nice and easy.

Modified by VWCaddy at 10:58 AM 9-26-2009

Modified by VWCaddy at 11:47 AM 9-26-2009

Modified by VWCaddy at 11:47 AM 9-26-2009

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: (VWcaddy_LouEville)

Nope, do get a little rattling from the support straps, but the loose tail gate hinges made a much louder rattle/clunk when going over bumps in the road.

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
Re: (VWCaddy)

Quote, originally posted by VWCaddy »
Not a huge mode, but I put some Teflon heat shring onto the pivot points:

To get rid of the rattle of the tail gate. Then for a little added security, I use a band clamp on the slotted hinge:

Now those are great mods. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, those are key mods!
Keep the mods coming! I know there are more...
On the tailgate late rebuild, did you basically pull it all out. Then clean and straighted everything?
Caddy's - Cuz Big gurlz need rides too

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: (phatatude)

Quote, originally posted by phatatude »
On the tailgate late rebuild, did you basically pull it all out. Then clean and straighted everything?

Yes, that and tightened up all the pivot points. Also recall making some small UHMW pieces/bushings to ease up some of the friction points. This was about 8 years ago and I didn't take any photos. But take things out, clean the up, see how they work and what is loose or worn. Then lube it all up and reinstall.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great advice... Now if you could use something other than the "Band Clamp". Just so it might be a quick disconnect. I know why its needed though. My flippin tailgate has fallen out after opening it more than I care to count.
Where did you score the Teflon heat shrink?

Caddy's - "Yea, there's only two seats. One fore me, and one for your girlfriend"

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: (phatatude)

Quote, originally posted by phatatude »
Great advice... Now if you could use something other than the "Band Clamp". Just so it might be a quick disconnect. I know why its needed though. My flippin tailgate has fallen out after opening it more than I care to count.

Band clamp works fine, just loosen it and the tail gate comes right off. But it keeps it from falling off and keeps folks from walking off with it, since you need a nut driver or something to loosen the clamp.

Quote »
Where did you score the Teflon heat shrink?

From a big industrial supply place, I have some extra, would run $12.00 w/ shipping for enough to do a tailgate.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may have to take you up on that Teflon.
And let me ask that we PLEASE have no negative comments within this post. I started the post with seeing the good the bad and the ugly. Just think of this as a brainstorming session and when brainstorming no idea is a bad idea.
Caddy's - "Is that a bed? "

Modified by phatatude at 8:52 PM 9-26-2009

1 - 20 of 41 Posts