VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: (VWcaddy_LouEville)

Quote, originally posted by VWcaddy_LouEville »
Those nets didn't improve mileage . NO tailgate did

If you're referring to the mythbusters episode, you are incorrect. They actually got better mileage with the tailgate up than they did without one. Reason being that with the tailgate up it creates a swirling high pressure area in the bed, and the low pressure air flowing over the cab continues to flow over that section of air. The fish tank test showed it pretty well...
Also, they did show improved mileage with the net...
Not trying to bust your balls, just making sure the facts are out there for those considering a net.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Re: (VWCaddy)

Quote, originally posted by VWCaddy »
Not a huge mod, but I put some Teflon heat shrink tubing onto the pivot points:
Then for a little added security, I use a band clamp on the slotted hinge:

Modified by VWCaddy at 10:58 AM 9-26-2009

Modified by VWCaddy at 11:47 AM 9-26-2009

Modified by VWCaddy at 11:47 AM 9-26-2009

Great idea, I bought a new tailgate and was trying to think of a way to lock or secure it so it doesn't dissapear. Might even be a way to take this a step further and put a lock on it.
I have a couple used tailgates, I bought a long thin flourescent light and plan on mounting it under the bottom edge of the tailgate and hanging the tailgate on the wall.

Modified by nobug at 10:30 AM 9-27-2009

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: (VWCaddy)

Quote, originally posted by VWCaddy »

To get rid of the rattle of the tail gate. Then for a little added security, I use a band clamp on the slotted hinge:

Plus I rebuilt the latch mechanism so it opens with one finger and closes nice and easy.

Did you put anything else on the slotted hinge to reduce rattle or was it just the teflon tape?

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Re: Post: Caddy Tailgate mods... Pictures and Ideas... (phatatude)

the metal brackets are pretty noisy... I was thinking of making some new ones out of sheathed cable. Plenty strong and nothing to rattle around. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: (reddeth)

Quote, originally posted by reddeth »

Did you put anything else on the slotted hinge to reduce rattle or was it just the teflon tape?

No, just the heat shrink tubing. I used the largest diameter tubing I could find so that the shrunk thickness would be as thick as possible. So that makes for a much tighter fit on the hinge and with the full circumference covered in the Teflon, there is no metal to metal contact to cause any noise.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Scrap fuel line with a hole through it and a zip tie stopped my trunk rattles Tacky but works.

Did this while replacing the trunk latch clip that broke off and left my tailgate unable to open. I got the generic door latch clips from AutoZone.

I also put a bunch off layers on heatshrink the latch moving part's contact points to take out the play.

My tail gate now officially opens like factory with zero effort and doesn't rattle.

I happy

Enviado desde mi RNE-L23 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought a Caddy that has light rails tucked up in the left and right top edges of the bed, as well as a red LED strip in the cab along the top edge of the rear window as a third brake light.

I plan on putting in the air shocks and having the manual valve in the fuel filler door, then someday put in an electric pump with controls in the cab maybe.

My friend wants to gut a remote controlled garage door opener and use it to power a tonnaeu cover that lifts up with the remote, hinged at the cab. He wants security for his work tools and will make it out of a solid piece of material. I wouldn't mind a fixed tonnaeu cover and giant drawer that slide out of the tailgate for model airplanes.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
I want to mod my tailgate to be straight again. So far I got it apart into two peices without messing it up any worse than it was.

Wood Composite material Gas Cooking Rectangle

I think I might add a peice of pipe to reinforce the bottom. I don't want to make it overly heavy though.

Saw Wood Miter saw Abrasive saw Gas

Only had to make one cut and I was able to keep it fairly clean and straight using a saw with fence.

Oh, forgot. Not two peices, four.

Wood Household hardware Hardwood Auto part Metal

So far so good, whether this will end well or when I might have it finished by is still up in the air.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
I saw a caddy for sale that had the handle on the inside of the tailgate, I guess so that with a camper or cover it was more lockable.
I think that may be the most popular tailgate modification. That is, a handle delete. I was surprised not to see it mentioned earlier in this thread.

I was inspired to separate the halves by watching this video:

I don't intend to delete the handle, but I was inspired by the concept of using anvils to beat the panel straight. When I watched the video again to see how these folks made their cuts...I decided I could do it cleaner.

I'm not sure what happened to the restored rot box tailgate with handle delete because 1 year later they made a fully custom tailgate.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
My tailgate was a banana. I cut it open because it made sense to do. I supported the sides with 4x4s then stood and bounced on it until it straightened out. Did a little hammer and dolly action to the inner ribs, welded it closed, coated the inside and called it good.

I’ll estimate I got 90% of the bend out. I wasn’t looking for perfection, because it’s BB.

-Todd

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
I'm glad mine isn't very bad, just a slight bow at the bottom. Close enough that I decided not to try to mess with it, I'd probably just mess it up worse.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The common arch/sag/bend of the tailgate seems to be the result of weight placed on it while it is down. That makes me think it could use some structural support internally, going across from side to side. If it is cut open to repair the bend, that seems a perfect time to add some bracing to prevent it from happening again.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts