VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1690 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CoilPack Failures: Numbers Affected

It seems that coil packs failing is about as common as a window regulator failing. Here is a easy Yes or No poll to see how many people have been affected by this parts failure. This part is on national backorder, so I know this is a pretty big problem. The new metal window regulators were on national backorder for a while, let your voice be heard.
Tell VW they need to be held responsible for parts that fail and are known to fail on many cars.
This is just a simple poll to show how many people have actually had this problem with any year MKIV.
EDIT: Please do not vote No unless your car has more than 5k miles so a whole bunch of new owners don't skew the results inaccurately. If you have a car that is under 5k with this problem feel free to vote Yes.

[Modified by f00led, 8:20 PM 11-7-2002]

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Re: CoilPack Failures: Numbers Affected (f00led)

If you want to do some preventive maintenance to your coil pack so it wont crack; take some jb weld and apply it on the plastic portion of the coil pack (vr6). This will give it extra strength and prevent it from cracking.

[Modified by Jettaway, 12:02 PM 2-2-2003]

·
Registered
21 Posts

Put me down for yes; one of my coilpacks died 2 days ago. Luckily the dealership had the part in stock and had me in and out in less than an hour. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif to VW for the coilpack problem but http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to good dealerships for awesome service.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Re: CoilPack Failures: Numbers Affected (basscadet)

they suposidly have newer ones that are updated to fix this problem, i just all 4 of mine replaced a couple days ago. the dealership told me that VW released updated coilpacs. will c soon huh?

·
Registered
30,491 Posts
Re: CoilPack Failures: Numbers Affected (funkysole)

I am at 47.5K miles and they are not covered by warranty anymore. The tech that works in my car told me to check with my extended warranty provider to see if they will cover them. I am getting intermittent coil pack malfunction but no misfires; it is just a CEL that comes and goes within a couple of days now and then.

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Re: CoilPack Failures: Numbers Affected (T0oDamnFast)

Are these recent coilpack malfunctions primarily on 1.8T's? It sounds like it. IIRC, the 1.8T has a pack for each cylinder, right?
FWIW, the coilpack on my VR6 has been solid for 4 years.

·
Registered
31,336 Posts
Re: CoilPack Failures: Numbers Affected (T0oDamnFast)

quote:[HR][/HR]i think that might be my present problem, i got VW gonna take a look at it today or first thing next week...[HR][/HR]​
quoting myself... i took the car in today and there were no coilpack failures, just a loose connection by the battery, causing the car to feel weird
but now everything is kosher
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
252 Posts

In less than 3 months (total of 10,000 miles driven in that time) I have had 3 fail. 2 failed at the same time. Hopefully the 3 that were replaced are the new and improved coilpacks. If so, I will only have one more time to look forward to being stranded in the middle of nowhere and having to have my car towed in for the last coilpack to be replaced and get the joy of ragging on another rental car.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Tell VW they need to be held responsible for parts that fail and are known to fail on many cars.[HR][/HR]​
VW is holding full responsibility for the failing coilpacks. They cover them under warranty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: CoilPack Failures: Numbers Affected (Deception)

Hey guys, I'll chime in here. I threw a cel last Friday on my way home from work, brought my car to my local VW service the following Saturday, and the diagnostic came back with failed coil pack. The mechanic who worked on my car said he has been seeing a drastic increase in the number of failures for this part. He replaced all 4 of them with the supposed new and improved parts. I'm getting rid of my car in the next 4 months, so I won't have the car long enough to know if the new parts really will permanently fix the problem.
I do think it's a 1.8T issue, because the mechanic who fixed my car told me, he has only seen this problem on the turbo engine, not the V6. And yes, VW is holding full responsibility and the parts were changed on my car no questions asked. Actually, even though only 1 coil pack went bad, the dealership replaced all 4 of them "just in case".

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: CoilPack Failures: Numbers Affected (Deception)

quote:[HR][/HR]
VW is holding full responsibility for the failing coilpacks. They cover them under warranty.[HR][/HR]​
Tell that to people that are on a trip that have to ditch their car on the freeway... Or a person merging and all of a sudden is on 3 or 2 cylinders, this is not like a window falling, your car almost entirely stops like you just dropped a gear. As far as I am concerned, this is a safety issue *READ RECALL*
If there was a known bad batch of coil packs, is VW so unorganized that they wouldn't know the VIN numbers of the cars affected?

·
Registered
19,985 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
Tell that to people that are on a trip that have to ditch their car on the freeway... Or a person merging and all of a sudden is on 3 or 2 cylinders, this is not like a window falling, your car almost entirely stops like you just dropped a gear. As far as I am concerned, this is a safety issue *READ RECALL*
[HR][/HR]​
True that. My coil pack failed in an intersection lst week. Luckily I was just accelerating to cut off an idiot that was trying to pass on the right (wish I could have seen the look on his face as my car emitted a '80s Subaru death rattle).
I'm a little nervous merging onto the highway or making left turns in fast/heavy traffic now. I didn't pay CAN$30K to drive a car that makes me feel that way.

1 - 20 of 1690 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.