VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

47701 - 47720 of 63264 Posts

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
LG Gram 15.6" - 2017 - i7 7500u - 16GB ram - 512BG SSD - Wifi AC / BT 4.1 - Weight NOTHING

It feels like an empty shell, its so damn lightweight.

How much are those going for ?

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Purpose is the angle the screws down so they are not readily visible?
That's a side benefit. It is a method of edge joining that doesn't need clamps to hold together, requires only one hole be drilled per fastener (unlike dowels), and is quick and easy to assemble. As a side benefit you can put all your fastener holes on the backside or non presented face, giving the illusion of no-fastener construction.

·
Registered
45,400 Posts

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,111 Posts
That's a side benefit. It is a method of edge joining that doesn't need clamps to hold together, requires only one hole be drilled per fastener (unlike dowels), and is quick and easy to assemble. As a side benefit you can put all your fastener holes on the backside or non presented face, giving the illusion of no-fastener construction.
Be careful with the screws because they can be brittle. I've broken them just by tightening them to much. Be especially careful in hardwoods.

Woodcraft sells hardened screws that are more confidence inspiring than the Kreg screws.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,414 Posts
Rubber for my Adventure Rig. Much better looking tire than my Pirellis. Pirellis looked like pizza trays by comparison. Road noise isn't noticeable, either.

·
Registered
22,274 Posts
Annnnndddd down the rabbit hole with the daily we go... Plan on rear diffuser, wheels/tires, high flow cats in the spring.

Tanabe axle back for the G35x:

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Dominos are where it's at, but Festool is too damn expensive.
Festool makes some great stuff but as you said, it's really expensive. I looked at getting one of their saw rails and almost choked at the price. I made my own with a 1x8 and a 1x2 and a couple of clamps.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Dominos are where it's at, but Festool is too damn expensive.
True but man they are amazing, I've got a tracksaw, domino XL, and an orbital and between the thoughtful engineering, quality, and dust collection it kinda justifies the price....although the big downside is you really need 2 sets of tools b/c they aren't rough carpentry job site tools

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
True but man they are amazing, I've got a tracksaw, domino XL, and an orbital and between the thoughtful engineering, quality, and dust collection it kinda justifies the price....although the big downside is you really need 2 sets of tools b/c they aren't rough carpentry job site tools
My brother-in-law's business does high-end furniture, kitchens, business interiors, etc. and is the same: Festool everything for the fancy stuff. He's like a Festool proselytizer with the HEPA vacs, organizational bins, everything.

Found this shot on their Insta

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
As much as I appreciate the high end woodworking tools, the big box brands have gotten really good, and really affordable lately.

Looking to upgrade my miter saw, and a lot of the features only available on the top of the line, have trickled down into the $300 ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47701 - 47720 of 63264 Posts