VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

47721 - 47740 of 63263 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My brother-in-law's business does high-end furniture, kitchens, business interiors, etc. and is the same: Festool everything for the fancy stuff. He's like a Festool proselytizer with the HEPA vacs, organizational bins, everything.

Found this shot on their Insta
Thats a dream set-up for sure.

As for the mitre-saw comment, exactly, many of them are great for that price point, I bought a 12" Bosch compound miter saw and the detents for the common angles aren't quite on, I have to manually check all of my 45's etc which is a pita....should have gone Dewalt :-/

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,111 Posts

As for the mitre-saw comment, exactly, many of them are great for that price point, I bought a 12" Bosch compound miter saw and the detents for the common angles aren't quite on, I have to manually check all of my 45's etc which is a pita....should have gone Dewalt :-/
I have a Dewalt but it's used only for rough carpentry. I have to do multiple cuts if I'm making angled cuts and sneak up for a tight joint. Festool miter saws really are great if you need repeatable accuracy and great dust collection.

The problem is $300 for Dewalt vs $1,000 for Festool.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
I have a Dewalt but it's used only for rough carpentry. I have to do multiple cuts if I'm making angled cuts and sneak up for a tight joint. Festool miter saws really are great if you need repeatable accuracy and great dust collection.

Same. I have an older Craftsman that I use a protractor on to ensure proper angles if I'm using it for finish work.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
There's a spot to the left of my gauge cluster that had a generic toggle switch in it previously from the PO, but now all my switches are in the stock location, so...

Since this thing is heavily clad with lighting, I ordered a simple shallow digital voltmeter to go there. I wanted a Stack analog gauge but they're too deep for the space behind this panel. :(

·
Registered
5,274 Posts

I own a Dewalt 10" mitersaw (non-sliding) that has been pretty good. Sure probably not up to Festool standards but its REALLY hard to justify the price of them. I'm hoping to upgrade to a slider get some extra capacity on the wider boards. I've heard there's less deflection for a 10" vs 12" so cuts are more accurate, same with slider vs non sliding. Trade off's I guess. I dig the new Makita LS1019L (looks like the Festool's model) but some reviews say it has some teething issues with accuracy.

Bought this. Milwaukee Laser distance measure. Hopefully it helps and is worth the cost over cheaper ones. I have to put up molding and baseboard in a few rooms and some accent stuff on the ceiling. I figure this will save time, especially on the ceiling.

1/16in accuracy, sub 60 dollar ones are 1/8th.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I own a Dewalt 10" mitersaw (non-sliding) that has been pretty good. Sure probably not up to Festool standards but its REALLY hard to justify the price of them. I'm hoping to upgrade to a slider get some extra capacity on the wider boards. I've heard there's less deflection for a 10" vs 12" so cuts are more accurate, same with slider vs non sliding. Trade off's I guess. I dig the new Makita LS1019L (looks like the Festool's model) but some reviews say it has some teething issues with accuracy.

Bought this. Milwaukee Laser distance measure. Hopefully it helps and is worth the cost over cheaper ones. I have to put up molding and baseboard in a few rooms and some accent stuff on the ceiling. I figure this will save time, especially on the ceiling.

1/16in accuracy, sub 60 dollar ones are 1/8th.

I currently have a non sliding makita that was on a huge sale for $150 years ago. I have built sheds, renovated to houses top to bottom, even built a boat for a the Redbull party wave competition. I really want to move up to the slider because I often find myself struggling with wider boards,but that cheap makita has really served me well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,070 Posts

Weird, I've always heard great things about the Bosch. I have some old Craftsman and just use it for rough cuts and cut to final length on the table saw. Not as easy for long pieces, but the Incra miter miter gauge is dead on.

On topic, bought a bunch of drawer slides for my assembly table project, and a dado stack.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts

The dust collection seems to be one of the biggest draws for all Festool stuff. Track saw, router, everything seems to work really well with their dust collection.

·
Registered
22,274 Posts

Set of these for the Guido35.

Can't get them installed until the 21st and my wife is the admin at the tire place. They're swamped. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Weird, I've always heard great things about the Bosch. I have some old Craftsman and just use it for rough cuts and cut to final length on the table saw. Not as easy for long pieces, but the Incra miter miter gauge is dead on.

On topic, bought a bunch of drawer slides for my assembly table project, and a dado stack.

Yeah I agree, I was surprised too, I bought it b/c it's a sliding compound but it uses knuckles rather than slide rails so you can have it right against a wall. After my first round of trim after I bought it nothing was fitting tight and I was just thinking I was off that day but the problem has persisted, I need to look into detent adjustments but haven't got around to it. For rough carpentry and framing it's great, just on the finish side it's a bit difficult, could also be b/c it's 12" and has more play in general...again like previous statements, hard to justify the Kapex at $1000+ and I'm pretty sure they use Festool only blades like the tracksaw which aren't cheap either.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

I picked up a set of these for the GTI last week. Love ‘em...

·
Registered
23,098 Posts
My Nexus 6 is on its last legs. Two battery replacements in the last 6 months (granted they're some crap chinese brand batteries), getting noticeably slower even with a custom rom/kernel. Last night, I ran the battery down and it almost didn't boot back up.

I've read up on the burn in issue but the burn in on the N6 doesn't bother me. I need dual front facing speakers and a 6" screen (won't budge on either) sooo.....

Granted, I bought this just 30 minutes before I found out that Razer is releasing an ugly but similar phone with even more battery life and more powerful speakers:banghead:

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
What's the weight rating on the slides? I have a furniture project coming up, I'm looking for some good drawer slides.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
What's the weight rating on the slides? I have a furniture project coming up, I'm looking for some good drawer slides.
I got these ones, 100 pound rating:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016EDJKJI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work great for shop furniture - slide smooth, but don't have soft close and don't look very refined. When I build the dresser/changing table for the nursery, I'll go with Blum blumotion, which is way too pricey for shop furniture.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
My Nexus 6 is on its last legs. Two battery replacements in the last 6 months (granted they're some crap chinese brand batteries), getting noticeably slower even with a custom rom/kernel. Last night, I ran the battery down and it almost didn't boot back up.

I've read up on the burn in issue but the burn in on the N6 doesn't bother me. I need dual front facing speakers and a 6" screen (won't budge on either) sooo.....

Granted, I bought this just 30 minutes before I found out that Razer is releasing an ugly but similar phone with even more battery life and more powerful speakers:banghead:
is that the XL? Got more pics of it? Compared to your 6 maybe? I am about to pick one of those up I think. My Note3 is definitely on its last legs now. Screen just goes black and only the lower buttons light up. Pull the battery and restart and it comes back on. Some days it does it every so often, other days it never does it. So some circuitry must be loose inside. Still 4 years is a pretty good run. Replaced battery earlier this year. So I will dislike not being able to do that with just about every single new flagship on the market today.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I currently have a non sliding makita that was on a huge sale for $150 years ago. I have built sheds, renovated to houses top to bottom, even built a boat for a the Redbull party wave competition. I really want to move up to the slider because I often find myself struggling with wider boards,but that cheap makita has really served me well
Problem with going to the bigger one is when you still carry it around. I use my 12" compound sliding Rigid for everything like it's still my old 10" Makita mitre box. :laugh:

47721 - 47740 of 63263 Posts