VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

47781 - 47800 of 63264 Posts

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,414 Posts
27" 4K monitor to pair with my laptop. Looking forward to working on something bigger than 13 inches.

been eyeballing this for a while and got an alert that it dropped $100 in price so I snagged it up.

that's what she said.

How much?

I'm needing a decent sized monitor for video work at home. I have two 24" right now, but bigger is always better, right?

My work monitors are LG IPS 24" from Costco for $169. Pretty decent.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Speaking of houses, should be closing on this 4-plex rental property mid December.

Wish I had the time to invest in a flip or two. Would like to pick your guys brains on how you're doing it.
Nice! This is where I want to be in 3-5years. Drop me a dm with any flip questions and I'll let you know what I've done and am doing.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
that's what she said.

How much?

I'm needing a decent sized monitor for video work at home. I have two 24" right now, but bigger is always better, right?

My work monitors are LG IPS 24" from Costco for $169. Pretty decent.
a bit more than those Costco ones but you're paying the premium for 4k vs. 1080p

24" is $350 and the 27" $380 (its normally around $450-$480)

I had looked at the LG 27UD58-B for $330 but went with the Dell since it has USB 3.0 ports so I can keep all the desk peripherals plugged into the monitor and only have to unplug one cable from the laptop when on the go.

·
17,414 Posts
a bit more than those Costco ones but you're paying the premium for 4k vs. 1080p

24" is $350 and the 27" $380 (its normally around $450-$480)

I had looked at the LG 27UD58-B for $330 but went with the Dell since it has USB 3.0 ports so I can keep all the desk peripherals plugged into the monitor and only have to unplug one cable from the laptop when on the go.
Hmm... I can get a Phillips 55" 4k for $400. :laugh:

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
Hmm... I can get a Phillips 55" 4k for $400. :laugh:
Does it cover 99% of the Adobe RGB color space and have 120hz refresh rate?

Honestly, you can use a TV, but there are some drawbacks. Most TV's have slower input lag than monitors which could get annoying in day to day use. Another issue is chroma subsampling, which makes monitors sharper than low end TV's. The last issue is size, I personally would not want to work on a 55" screen as typically you are siting fairly close and your neck would stare to hurt. 4K solves the problems with pixel density, but at 55" and sitting a few feet away, you may still be able to see the pixels which would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
2015 STi & 2016 Golf R
39,746 Posts

Honestly, you can use a TV, but there are some drawbacks. Most TV's have slower input lag than monitors which could get annoying in day to day use. Another issue is chroma subsampling, which makes monitors sharper than low end TV's. The last issue is size, I personally would not want to work on a 55" screen as typically you are siting fairly close and your neck would stare to hurt. 4K solves the problems with pixel density, but at 55" and sitting a few feet away, you may still be able to see the pixels which would drive me nuts.
Yup, cheap TVs are crap as computer monitors.

I'd much rather sit at my desk and look at my $500 27", 1440p, 144hz G-Sync Dell monitor.

·
17,414 Posts

It was mostly in jest. 42" is probably the largest I would want to work on. I used my 70" for a little bit. It's fine if you're doing basic things, but doing anything graphically productive, it's a PITA. I hate zooming in w/ PS or IL and not having the anchor points increase in size. So hard to manipulate the correct one when they're so small.

·
Registered
2015 STi & 2016 Golf R
39,746 Posts
I ordered a new leather wallet on eBay a few weeks ago, the delivery was delayed 'coz I wrote the wrong postal code. But I've finally received it

I'm so happy! I promised myself that I'll always check the postal code at https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/kentucky to avoid such mistakes in the future.
You need a website to tell you what your postal code is..?

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Vail resorts season pass .. I should have bought it a month ago when it was $70 cheaper :banghead:

·
17,414 Posts
Vail resorts season pass .. I should have bought it a month ago when it was $70 cheaper :banghead:

Triggered. "Holy glow".

:facepalm:

·
17,414 Posts

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Thats a dream set-up for sure.

As for the mitre-saw comment, exactly, many of them are great for that price point, I bought a 12" Bosch compound miter saw and the detents for the common angles aren't quite on, I have to manually check all of my 45's etc which is a pita....should have gone Dewalt :-/
Same. I have an older Craftsman that I use a protractor on to ensure proper angles if I'm using it for finish work.
Yeah, I don't care if it's a $150 Craftsman or a $1500 Festool: if I'm doing something I want to look good, I'm checking the angle beforehand with a speed square or a protractor.

Put an offer in on this bad boy in Laguna Niguel about 5 min from the beach. Hopefully they accept our offer. I am going to be so damn poor for the next 6-7 months:facepalm:

Beautiful, congrats!

One of the last new manual Chevy SS's to be had.

Also beautiful, also congrats!

This thing's finally getting dropped off tomorrow at the land I bought that we plan to build on next year:

And also shelled out for the CAD drawings for this thing:

It's from one of those sites that have thousands of floor plans. I always planned on hiring an architect, and didn't think I'd find anything close to what we were looking for on one of these sites, but with a few simple changes that I'll do myself in Chief Architect, it's perfect.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
And also shelled out for the CAD drawings for this thing:

It's from one of those sites that have thousands of floor plans. I always planned on hiring an architect, and didn't think I'd find anything close to what we were looking for on one of these sites, but with a few simple changes that I'll do myself in Chief Architect, it's perfect.
AWESOME! Let me know how that works out, have debated buying plans from those sites but always backed off, would be great to hear your experience especially moving forward.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
AWESOME! Let me know how that works out, have debated buying plans from those sights but always backed off, would be great to hear your experience especially moving forward.
Will do. Jury's still out for me on it, but if it works out, it's definitely a significant savings. I ponied up a few weeks ago for some software that will let me modify it like I want, and the builder I'm planning to use is also a structural engineer so he'll give it a good going-over before anything gets started.

47781 - 47800 of 63264 Posts