VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
an AAZ as all but 4 wires. wheres a tdi has an ecu.

the other big difference is the trans. its an 02A meaning you need to convert to hydraulic clutch and cable shift. versus your original linkage shift and cable clutch.

Soo pretty much it would feel like a mk4 when driving and I would have to fab up a peddle mount. Wouldn't I want it to have a ecu soo I can do some tuning to it?

· Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,809 Posts
an AAZ as all but 4 wires. wheres a tdi has an ecu.

the other big difference is the trans. its an 02A meaning you need to convert to hydraulic clutch and cable shift. versus your original linkage shift and cable clutch.
AAZ is similar to the stock Mk2 diesels (indirect injection), but bigger.

TDI wouldn't be a hard swap in a Mk2 at all... the early models (Passat and Jetta) use CE2 so they'll drop right in, wiring, ECU and all, to a 90-92 Mk2. The trans being an 02A has no difference... an 020 will bolt up and you can keep the stock linkage. Or swap to the 02A if you choose. It's up to you. These cars are legos... there's no requirement. You can even choose to do an 02A w/ cable shift and clutch! (the conversion parts for an 02A w/ cable clutch come from a Eurovan).

Or you could do M-TDI, which IIRC is a mechanical diesel pump swapped onto a TDI engine (basically take a TDI longblock and put the IDI crap all onto it).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.