VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mostly a lurker but this thread inspired me to log back in!

A few of my own truck:

Some from misc events/cars and coffee/ random spottings around the city

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #131

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #132

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
Digging through files to find dog pics for the other thread, and stumbled across these. One is a little blown out, but CA is pretty.

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,786 Posts
I have really gotten back into photography over the last year or so and thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread for everyone to post their best shots. Please only post photos taken with a DSLR or mirrorless camera. No phone photos.
:( I bought the phone with the best camera I could find so I wouldn't have to cart around a bulky camera wherever I went. Modern phone cameras area pretty good. It's how the tool is used that matters, right?

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
:( I bought the phone with the best camera I could find so I wouldn't have to cart around a bulky camera wherever I went. Modern phone cameras area pretty good. It's how the tool is used that matters, right?
I mean, the best phone cameras are good for what they are and can come in handy, but they're never going to allow for as much information to be captured as a DSLR, or even a decent modern point-and-shoot. It's all just too small for a good lens option and sensor (not megapixels, but physical sensor size). The fake narrow depth of field thing that a lot do is especially egregious.

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,786 Posts
I mean, the best phone cameras are good for what they are and can come in handy, but they're never going to allow for as much information to be captured as a DSLR, or even a decent modern point-and-shoot. It's all just too small for a good lens option and sensor (not megapixels, but physical sensor size). The fake narrow depth of field thing that a lot do is especially egregious.
I've had modern point and shoots and the iPhone is as good if not better at capturing data, including HDR data. Most of photography is in composition and layout and that doesn't change between tools. A lot of the pictures in this thread could have been taken with a modern phone and unless you look at the background data, you wouldn't know. Almost all of them have been post processed, even if only to resize them to something smaller than print resolution.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've had modern point and shoots and the iPhone is as good if not better at capturing data, including HDR data. Most of photography is in composition and layout and that doesn't change between tools. A lot of the pictures in this thread could have been taken with a modern phone and unless you look at the background data, you wouldn't know. Almost all of them have been post processed, even if only to resize them to something smaller than print resolution.
Weakness with cell phones is depth. On a regular wide angle landscape shot a phone and a 'real' camera will look similar until you hit a large high res screen, but phones generally lack the depth of field you get with a proper telescoping lens. I'm not sure about iPhones as I have a cheap Motorola, but when I zoom with it, it just inflates the picture, losing clarity and depth. It's really a function of the lens size, consider how zoom on a DSLR actually changes the lens length while a phone remains the same flat surface, with lens changing by thousandths of an inch as opposed to whole inches.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts