VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

Came across a clean TDI wagon for sale local to me, it's a 2014 Automatic Wagon w/ pano sunroof with 54,000 miles, 2 owners,120k mile VW warranty, Tan/Black interior on Blue paint.

I was reading the forums & understand that the panoramic roofs need maintenance. How often does the leak occur & how easy is it to notice it?
Also learned that the timing belts need to be replaced from 80k-120k miles, is this something that the VW 120k mile warranty covers & what all does the warranty usually cover? does the warranty even mean anything at the end of the day.

Would love to hear your opinions on these cars & also how much you'd assume this one is for sale for. It's a southern car so no rust from what I've seen.

· Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the Vortex!

The panos do require some maintenance but if it's kept up they are great and increase the value of the car. If left untouched, there's a chance they will clog and leak. If the previous owner hasn't keep up with them than I would advise cleaning them out with weedwacker line and cutting off the ends. Info on doing so can be found online.

Yes, timing belts do need to be replaced, it's also a part of regular maintenance. This isn't a Honda or Toyota, German cars tend to require more upkeep but are better cars for it. It is not covered under warranty as it is considered "wear and tear." I just had mine done and a new water pump installed as I had an opportunity to do so at no labor cost (my car was in for warranty work). I would suggest doing it at the 70K or 90K maintenance interval.

As for the value of your car, given VW sold out on the CPO cars a few years ago their value has been going up. The days of finding them for $6-8K are long gone. I paid $13K for my 2013 with the pano roof, leatherette interior, and DSG transmission last October with around 49.5K miles on it; but my car has H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein shocks, Alzor 349 rims with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ tires, RCD 330 stereo upgrade with a Cerwin Vega VPAS12ST Vega 12" Powered Active Subwoofer in the spare tire area, so a lot of upgrades. It did start its life in ND, but was brought down to Texas by VWoA several years ago. I had a few small rust bubbles on the driver's side door sill but VW took care of that under warranty. Speaking of which, mine is good for 120k miles or the year 2024.

I would put your car in the $11-12K range, it may sell cheaper but that would be the price I would expect to pay if it's truly in great shape. Mine is also Moon Rock Silver which is a bit less common and is in pretty much pristine shape.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Vortex!

The panos do require some maintenance but if it's kept up they are great and increase the value of the car. If left untouched, there's a chance they will clog and leak. If the previous owner hasn't keep up with them than I would advise cleaning them out with weedwacker line and cutting off the ends. Info on doing so can be found online.

Yes, timing belts do need to be replaced, it's also a part of regular maintenance. This isn't a Honda or Toyota, German cars tend to require more upkeep but are better cars for it. It is not covered under warranty as it is considered "wear and tear." I just had mine done and a new water pump installed as I had an opportunity to do so at no labor cost (my car was in for warranty work). I would suggest doing it at the 70K or 90K maintenance interval.

As for the value of your car, given VW sold out on the CPO cars a few years ago their value has been going up. The days of finding them for $6-8K are long gone. I paid $13K for my 2013 with the pano roof, leatherette interior, and DSG transmission last October with around 49.5K miles on it; but my car has H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein shocks, Alzor 349 rims with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ tires, RCD 330 stereo upgrade with a Cerwin Vega VPAS12ST Vega 12" Powered Active Subwoofer in the spare tire area, so a lot of upgrades. It did start its life in ND, but was brought down to Texas by VWoA several years ago. I had a few small rust bubbles on the driver's side door sill but VW took care of that under warranty. Speaking of which, mine is good for 120k miles or the year 2024.

I would put your car in the $11-12K range, it may sell cheaper but that would be the price I would expect to pay if it's truly in great shape. Mine is also Moon Rock Silver which is a bit less common and is in pretty much pristine shape.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to ask about any maintenance done to the sunroof. How much does it cost to get the timing belt done, also should this only be done at a VW dealer?

What does the warranty even cover?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.