VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Here's some powdercoating I did today, got bored thought it would make the GTI look neater under the hood. I had the intakeoff to do the larger TB conversion, so I figured why not since it was all off anyway. It all gets installed in the morning.
First cleaned em all up then sandblasted them, then powdercoated Ford blue. Intake got bored out / matched to accept Audi larger TB, with stock linkages retained. I had to add a spring post for the throttle spring.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Re: Powdercoating GTI stuff, and Intake conversion, pics (NOok)

give us pics when installed http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Rob

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Powdercoating GTI stuff, and Intake conversion, pics (ABA Scirocco)

I powdercoat, it takes powdercoating gun, an electrical source to put a little current through the item being sprayed, powdercoat powder, and a big oven.
The oven is big, I could probably drive two whole rabbits into the oven and powdercoat them if I wanted, heh.
The heat is from an industrial baker from the local steel mill, that closed. It's got an old 1920's era mechanical temperature controller/thermostat/timer, but it works like a champ and is something that will never break, no digital parts!
I have the blue parts in and running, getting a new muffler on the bunny today, Ill post pics tomorrow, looks pretty good. PLus, powdercoating is waaaaay more durable than any paint.
Definitely noticeable power gain with the larger Audi TB, expecially up over 55.
N

Modified by NOok at 1:12 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
24,968 Posts

Im waiting for my stuff to come back from the powder coating guy. Im doing my Valve cover, Upper rear swaybars, lower stress bars, and charger bracket. All for the price of 100 bucks( A friend of my brothers) But i never thought about the Intake manifold, and my color scheme is blue also, and i have a spare one to send him, i think i might just do that 2 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for the idea

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Powdercoating GTI stuff, and Intake conversion, pics (I Wuz BottlFedG60)

I normally do powdercoating $15 per piece, additional $5 per piece to sandblast.

·
Registered
355 Posts

That's a great deal. You wouldn't happen to be in Canada would you?? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,065 Posts

Ya I might also be interested in getting some items coated. I guess it will mostly depend on turn around times. Can you do any high gloss silver (close to polished look)? Which Audi TB did you use? And would it be compatible with my '86 fuel/ignition system, do they have the idle adjustment screw? How much did the TB run you?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Powdercoating GTI stuff, and Intake conversion, pics (TeamTHP)

Turnaround is a week or two, I dont run a batch until I have enough to fill the whole oven. I have a silver high shine finish, I'll do up a valve cover in the next batch and post pics.
Im not sure what throttle body I wound up with, it was off of eBay for $20, and the seller said it was for the A1 GTI upgrade, so I bought it. I have 3-4 more as well. I have no idea what injection systems it works with, I only know it works on the 84 GTI, Im still learning all this VW stuff.
N

·
Registered
355 Posts

Looks good. Now all it needs is the cylinder head and block powder coated!

How hot of a temp does powder coat paint stand up to? Will it get fried on the underside of the intake (close to exhaust manifold)?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Powdercoating GTI stuff, and Intake conversion, pics (p_ferlow)

can be right on the cylinder head next to the exhaust and wont come off. Ive also got high temp powdercoating for exhaust manifolds and headers that stays on those high temp items.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I think blue vacuum lines are next.
blue=fast

1 - 15 of 15 Posts