VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always liked the look of the 1994-99 Celica, and I hear it's a great-handling car that's reliable... too bad it's a DOG when it comes to performance.
Any ideas on how to increase the performance, like turbo kits or swapping the engine? I'm looking to spend around 20-21k total for the car and kit/swap including installation, so if the car's 16-17k total, I have around $4000 to bump the engine from 135hp to hopefully around 200-225hp.
Can it be done?? this would be a sweet 4-seater sleeper, and a rare setup, I think.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Power from a 1998 Celica GT (TabulaRasa)

yeah. 220hp N/A or 320hp t-turbo would be nice... a little $$$, though, don't you think? Hell, if it's possible for $4000 bought and installed, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
a little unrealistic, though. how easy would it be to slap a turbo on the 135hp 2.2 in this car (i think it's a 2.2) ???
anyone?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Re: Power from a 1998 Celica GT (jsborn)

if you want that much grunt, you'd be better off shoe horning a 3sgte into that car.
3sgte is a relatively simple swap, and the potential for 450hp+ there

3sge if you are a purist (like me) and you have a thing for NA cars not so much scope for performance though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Power from a 1998 Celica GT (jsborn)

i own a 1990 celica GT (which have the 5SFE, like the 98)
1st.. you CAN'T swap in a supra engine, the engine bay is way too small..
slimmy is right, the easiest way is to swap a 3SGTE 2.0lT engine from a MR2T or an All-trac. If the celica is a GT you'll only need the whole engine and the wire harness/ecu i think.. the engine mounts are ok.. as for the tranny. There are also some turbo kits for the 5SFE at Burien Toyota and another shop that i don't remember but they aren't proven to be reliable.
you can check out http://disc.server.com/Indices/104013.html for more informations.. lots for the swaps, some on there had done it.
hope it helps..

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Re: Power from a 1998 Celica GT (RJetta8V)

How does he still have an account? Or is that 22 posts just from today? Moderators?
oh:
quote:[HR][/HR]22 posts (22.00 posts per day on average)
johnybegood has been a member for 0 days.[HR][/HR]​

[Modified by jerk, 10:27 AM 11-27-2001]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.