VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,I`m moving from MD to Flagstaff in June and will be using my `92 SLC as an everyday driver for a bit.In a few months I`ll be bringing my 1.8T Golf.
My question is what kind of power loss can I expect to the turbo charged engine because of Flag`s high altitude?
Also,I`ve asked this before,but is there anyone in Flag or the immediate area who would be "qualified" to work on my Corrado in a pinch,assuming I can`t get to Pheonix?
One more thing,anyone have any kind words of referance for Exklusive(sp) who has had work done on there Rado,or 1.8T by these guys?
ie:fairness in price,reliability,work guarantee,turn-around time,etc?
Thanks,see ya`ll soon,I`ll be the guy thundering around town in a black Corrado w/ MD tags.
And yes,my sunroof and rear wing both work

Jason

· Banned
144 Posts
Re: Power loss at altitude? (Tubeman)

Quote, originally posted by Tubeman »

One more thing,anyone have any kind words of referance for Exklusive(sp) who has had work done on there Rado,or 1.8T by these guys?
ie:fairness in price,reliability,work guarantee,turn-around time,etc?
work is top notch. price is very fair but in my opinion they need to raise the price to provide better turn around time and service, which are both poor. In most cases though, I'd say the quality of work makes up for that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,055 Posts
Re: Power loss at altitude? (Kamatzarak)

No loss in performance from your turbo engine. The goal of a turbocharger on an engine is to increase (or maintain) pressure and flow into the engine. There is a critical altitude to the 1.8T but I haven't taken the time to figure it out (and probably never will as the highest elevation roads I've driven are in Flag). Enjoy the boosted performance of your car in the less dense air at 7000+ ft in Flagstaff.

· Registered
19,961 Posts
Re: Power loss at altitude? (JustinTheGIMP)

my wife and i took her new passat 1.8t tip wagon to flag last summer.
it drove great and had no loss of power.
as for Exklusiv, ive heard only good things about thier work.
i know that derek is very knowledgable too.

· Registered
485 Posts
Re: Power loss at altitude? (Tubeman)

When I still had my 1.8T I had better mileage and power at high altitudes than low
I did notice that about 12,000 ft the engine starts loosing power fast. At 14,000ft I couldn't even break the tires loose in 2nd gear on dirt

· Registered
25,386 Posts
Re: Power loss at altitude? (jhayesvw)

Quote, originally posted by jhayesvw »
as for Exklusiv, ive heard only good things about thier work.
i know that derek is very knowledgable too.

mechanical work - very good, scheduling anything in... yeah, good luck.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
10,861 Posts
NA cars loose up to 30% of base-sea level hp. Nothing like driving the GTi 1600 in Flag then down to the valley-WHHHOT!!!!.
My G-grind cam'd Rabbit GTI came on strong in Sedona-4,000'. When you want to come up to 14,000, come on out to VW on the Green!! Pike's Peak buddy

· Registered
485 Posts
Re: (eurowner)

Quote, originally posted by eurowner »
NA cars loose up to 30% of base-sea level hp. Nothing like driving the GTi 1600 in Flag then down to the valley-WHHHOT!!!!.
My G-grind cam'd Rabbit GTI came on strong in Sedona-4,000'. When you want to come up to 14,000, come on out to VW on the Green!! Pike's Peak buddy

Pikes Peak is cool, but I ruined 2 of my wheels on the GTI. They looked like I took a sandblaster too them...I guess I shouldn't have driven like it was a rally
For those that are going to VW on the Green and want a more sane drive, look at Mt. Evans. All paved and fun as well!

· Registered
10,861 Posts
Re: (jensht)

Quote, originally posted by jensht »
Pikes Peak is cool, but I ruined 2 of my wheels on the GTI. They looked like I took a sandblaster too them...I guess I shouldn't have driven like it was a rally
My old Audi Quattro has slid around there a bunch. The guy with the temp gun @ Glen Cove was wondering why my brakes were not hot-----he didn't check the temp of the tires!!!!
For those that are going to VW on the Green and want a more sane drive, look at Mt. Evans.
Eh, Don't be a weenie, it's PP!!!!! We don't accept Trailer Queens out here......
heh heh

· Registered
5,624 Posts

My car does feel slower up here ... but I'm used to driving at ~70 feet, not 7,000 .. so there must be some loss for my stock engine.
The roads are more fun to drive here though than in SoCal [out of town anyway ... local streets are hell on suspension and the speed limits are ridiculously low]
Good to see another dubber coming to Flag though http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Don't think I've ever seen a 'Raddo up here, so you can feel special

I've heard Franke's is expensive too .. drove by it just to see where it is, that shop looked completely ghetto .. don't even know if I'd trust my car over there
But nowhere else in town, probably cost over a hundred to town to Phoenix ... haven't had my Dub break yet here anyway, and do my service in CA, so can't make a call either way.
I'll be in CA till August, but hope to see ya dubbin around in the fall!
oh yeah and the COLD AIR should make up for altitude power loss in a modded engine

Modified by Troike at 4:11 AM 4-12-2005

· Registered
485 Posts

Quote, originally posted by eurowner »
Eh, Don't be a weenie, it's PP!!!!! We don't accept Trailer Queens out here......
heh heh

My GTI wasn't a trailer queen. Getting airborne on Mt. Herman road (Monument to Woodland Park), Old Gold Camp Road up to Cripple Creek from Colorado Springs and many other adventures that ended up eventually in knocking a hole into my diff from a rock I took out...but it was all good fun

· Registered
10,861 Posts
Re: (jensht)

My GTI Getting airborne on Mt. Herman road (Monument to Woodland Park), Old Gold Camp Road up to Cripple Creek from Colorado Springs and many other adventures that ended up eventually in knocking a hole into my diff from a rock I took out...but it was all good fun

Love it!!! The last VW I got air in was my '81 Dasher Diesel back in 1990. I counted "one, two, three" in the air. The landing was perfect. Never got the balls to do that again, then a few years later they changed the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.