VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a stage 1 tune, and want to make the most out of it, and get the power while making the engine do the least amount of work possible. I want that stage1 to really out-do itself. I have the BSH PCV revamp, the AWE diverter, and the FORGE WINtake.

I am looking into pulley kits, because I assume, the engine will not have to work as hard to turn lighter/sized pulleys, resulting in longer engine life and fuel economy(theory?).

The two pulleys I have my eyes on are the Neuspeed alternator pulley here:
http://www.esetuning.com/Neuspeed-Power-Pulley-Kit-p/62.10.91.htm

and the ECS lightweight underdrive pulley here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B6-FWD-2.0T/Engine/Pulleys/ES6138/

what are the pros and cons of each? Is my thinking correct where my engine will make more power, and not have to work as hard to do so at the same time? Or will these pulleys make the car work harder?

I'm making my car a total sleeper from the outside... for now. but I want it to be a reliable daily driver with a good amount of power at the same time.

again, comments, thoughts, facts? love to hear it all!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it noticeable? I was thinking of doing both pulley kits, would it be difficult to get a proper belt with the two different size pulleys? do you notice a mileage difference? maybe how long it takes for the motor to rev down?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Underdrive pulleys can cause damage to your engine. The pulleys that come stock from the factory are not just that way for show. They act as a counter balance for the crank so it doesn't spin too fast or to slow, or get out of sync with the others. I know in the domestic world of camaros and mustangs with hot motors people have been known to use heavier pulleys. This debate has been around a while. Below is quick quote on the subject.

Just as expensive as these motors are, I wouldn't want to risk prematurely ending its life.

"The factory crank pulley has a built-in harmonic dampener, in the form of a split design, with a thick rubber pad sandwiched between two steel sheels. The dampener is designed to absorb torsional and vertical vibrations from the crank. MOST underdrive crank pulleys do not have a harmonic dampener at all.

Torsional vibration is a twisting vibration caused by the pulses of each combustion event. The force of the piston causes the crank to deflect ever so slightly in the direction of the force, and when that force goes away the crank ever-so-slightly springs back. At certain frequencies the crank can resonate, making the vibration much worse. This is where the harmonic dampener comes into play."

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Underdrive pulleys can cause damage to your engine. The pulleys that come stock from the factory are not just that way for show. They act as a counter balance for the crank so it doesn't spin too fast or to slow, or get out of sync with the others. I know in the domestic world of camaros and mustangs with hot motors people have been known to use heavier pulleys. This debate has been around a while. Below is quick quote on the subject.

Just as expensive as these motors are, I wouldn't want to risk prematurely ending its life.

"The factory crank pulley has a built-in harmonic dampener, in the form of a split design, with a thick rubber pad sandwiched between two steel sheels. The dampener is designed to absorb torsional and vertical vibrations from the crank. MOST underdrive crank pulleys do not have a harmonic dampener at all.

Torsional vibration is a twisting vibration caused by the pulses of each combustion event. The force of the piston causes the crank to deflect ever so slightly in the direction of the force, and when that force goes away the crank ever-so-slightly springs back. At certain frequencies the crank can resonate, making the vibration much worse. This is where the harmonic dampener comes into play."
this is definately good to know! how about that power pulley kit for the alternator? will that do harm? or will that help it? Does the flywheel have this same dampening thing? or will a lighter flywheel be good?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oh no, a light weight flywheel is the bee's knees. Really. Its just the crank pulley I'd be most worried about. I mean in theory, the same thing could happen to an alternator I guess? Just the crank pulley I know the hunk of a pulley dampens vibrations of the crank. Decreasing the weight could give you more power, but also increase vibration causing wear on the main bearings and crank shaft end play. I never really thought about alternators though. Cost to benefit ratio of those things have to be pretty low.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh no, a light weight flywheel is the bee's knees. Really. Its just the crank pulley I'd be most worried about. I mean in theory, the same thing could happen to an alternator I guess? Just the crank pulley I know the hunk of a pulley dampens vibrations of the crank. Decreasing the weight could give you more power, but also increase vibration causing wear on the main bearings and crank shaft end play. I never really thought about alternators though. Cost to benefit ratio of those things have to be pretty low.
it "advertises" 5-7 horse increase, which would be a nice supporting mod. would the alternator be the target of vibrations under those conditions?

·
Registered
688 Posts
K&N claims it can get 20hp from putting a filter on a stick. Doesn't mean I'd buy it on those claims alone. I honestly have no idea. I think they're mostly for dress up. There are LOTS of reviews on these underdrive pulleys across many many platforms. Not being a smartass, but I'm sure google has all the answers.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
there not really worth the money, the increases ore minimal.

Its on of those mods tht when added with like 2 or 3 others may show some increases but IMO i haven't seen a reason to spend 160$ on one.

Ive also hear it can mess with your air conditioning.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, what would make a good supporting / engine relieving mod? that can help the engine not work so hard and keep up power? ways to make it more efficient and has less strain to do its work?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Intake, throttle pipe, bigger FMIC. you can pick up an S3 IC for about 250-300$

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I know that having an under drive pulley on the alternator of my old mustang didn't stay on long. It didn't charge the battery under 1000 rpms and my stereo amp didn't help. My battery died with the car running in a taco bell drive though once. I also didn't feel squat for power increase with them on.

Different car but I image the same principles.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Intake, throttle pipe, bigger FMIC. you can pick up an S3 IC for about 250-300$
I have the FORGE WINtake in the mail, should already be here tomorrow. What exactly is the throttle pipe? Would THIS ESE Tuning Kit be a viable FMIC? I feel like that is rather costly. Are those the best ways to up the reliability of the motor under tune?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I would go for the A3 intercooler.

The throttle pipe is on the front of your motor and goes down to the intercooler. The stock one has a crimped flat section that appears to be restrictive. So an upgrade to this would be opening that up more.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I would go for the A3 intercooler.

The throttle pipe is on the front of your motor and goes down to the intercooler. The stock one has a crimped flat section that appears to be restrictive. So an upgrade to this would be opening that up more.
you mean S3 intercooler? the A3 is the same IC as ours

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed my pulley with a few other mods. If it would have a negative affect...why would they make and sell the product??? Just saying....
it does make some sence thinking about it though. I feel like that pulley could do that. I'm no engineer though so I'm not going to back it 100%. I think my next upcoming mods will be the tranny bushing insert, and the throttle pipe. Those sound like good mods to work with. Any other good ideas for supporting mods that won't void warranty?

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Any one will make Anything if it sells... with that being said.. have any of you done a search.. im sure this has been covered. The biggest issue is the posibility of messing with your electrical system.. as we all know VWs do not like to be messed around..

What happens when your battery is about to die?? People get all these weird codes.. and a bunch of ramdon things. I would just install it and keep the OEM. If you dont feel the power difference or you start getting weird issue.. slap OEM back on.

You pay to play.. and I have had my share of aftermarket issues.. but for the money, time.. is it really worth it??

If you want cheap HP ..

CHIP
Catless Downpipe
Meth Injection kit. (run 100oct Mode).

Any other mod (except turbo, Fuel) will either just keep power consistante or add one or two.

Do you guys subscrip to Eurotuner.. they actually just bolted on a A3 2.0T and had very nice dynos. They did a pulley.. discharge pipe.. another pipe... chip, and exhaust. All showed gains.. but nothing to crazy.

JT

Best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Sorry, yeah, I meant S3.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so mods I should look at to help reliability and add some power, are going to be the throttle pipe. and an S3 inter-cooler. Will the S3 inter-cooler bolt right up? or will it be a fabrication thing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.