VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 95 golf vr6 i wanna know if this cars could take power shifting or double clutching is the tranny strong enough ,i heard that vr6 tranny are the same as the 2.0L gti golf,thats why i don't wanna power shift.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Re: power shifting (avmd)

dont knwo about the power shifting, but i know for a fact that the mk3 vr6s and mk3 2.0s had differrent trannies.
vr6: o2a
2.0: o2o
all mk4s: o2j

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: power shifting (JetTAFLiTe)

thanx,one more thing how about if i power shift n never grind would still fuk up

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Re: power shifting (avmd)

Double clutching, by nature, could not hurt your trans....powershifting will though.
Sean

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Re: power shifting (EuroStyle)

Powershifting, even if it doesn't grind, puts a lot more strain on the gear teeth than regular shifting, since the gears don't really disengage. If it does grind, or you miss a shift, on top of all the extra strain put on it by powershifting in the past, it'll break.
Double-clutching is GOOD for your tranny, if you do it right. No wear on your syncros at all http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif But please be aware that The Fast and The Furious is not an accurate car movie, and that double-clutching while upshifting or drag racing useless. You only double-clutch on downshifts. Highly Reccomended Reading

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Re: power shifting (Zwoobah)

define "powershifting" for me please...also, how does one double clutch on an upshift? I've gotten that hang out double clutch downshifting pretty good (still cant heel-toe though). I know that it would slow you down for drag racing and whatever, but my friends 3rd gear syncro is bad and he says that he has to double clutch for the upshift, but it still downshifts smoothly (?) doesnt make sense to me, i would think that it would be the other way around since the revs drop a little when you shift, i would think that they would drop close to the speed for the next gear...I once drove an unsyncronized transmission on a formula dodge car at skip barber, and i didnt know how to double clutch at the time, but it only crunched on the downshifts (we are going to tell you how to double clutch, but if you want to cover your ears now, our mechanics will cover their ears when you are out on the track).

[Modified by VR6 Mk3, 11:44 PM 11-28-2001]

[Modified by VR6 Mk3, 11:48 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Re: power shifting (VR6 Mk3)

quote:[HR][/HR]define "powershifting" for me please[HR][/HR]​
When one stomps on the clutch pedal with the force of 10,000 camels while, at the same time, grabbing hold of the shift knob and ripping it from one gear to the next, as if punishing it for its own existance. All this takes place in the shortest time interval possible.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Re: power shifting (Y2KRICEBOY)

quote:[HR][/HR]define "powershifting" for me please
When one stomps on the clutch pedal with the force of 10,000 camels while, at the same time, grabbing hold of the shift knob and ripping it from one gear to the next, as if punishing it for its own existance. All this takes place in the shortest time interval possible.[HR][/HR]​
Ahh yes...do you lift off the gas when you are "powershifting"? or at least apply a lot of gas before the clutch it totally engaged?
Everyone should read the link entitlted Highly Reccomended Reading" above...its really helpful http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,592 Posts

I think he was joking on his definition of power shifting because that def. is wrong. Powershifting is doing it without using the clutch at all. Just wait till the rpm's are just right and then pull it out of gear and force it into another. If done correctly, there will be no grinding. I recomend this only when your clutch is gone/broke/dead, however you want to put it.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts

For heel-toeing you'll probably want after-market pedal covers. The stock ones are small and spaced apart enough to make it very awkward to do, at least with my 9.5 foot size. Pedal covers widen the surface, effectively bringing the contact surfaces of the pedals closer. My "heel-toe" in my Jetta is really "ball of left-side of foot on brake, ball of right-side of foot on gas pedal"

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Re: power shifting (Air_Cooled_Nut)

Heel-toeing is fun
but very awkward the 1st few times. You position your right foot as Aircoolednut said, and "roll" your knee and shin side to side to change pressure on the gas. You should be able to keep constant pressure on the brake while blipping the throttle, so you can brake correctly going into a turn and still get the stick to go into 2nd. My $20 drilled aluminum Autozone pedals really help for this, they have a bulge on the left edge of the gas pedal, and are wider than stock so your foot can reach. The link above explains it better than I can

1 - 12 of 12 Posts