VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2.0l 16v that I have done an R1 carb conversion on. I have everything squared away, at least for it to run for a few minutes, but it won't go. I've narrowed it down to what I believe is an ignition issue. I've currently got it hooked up just using an ICM. It is goes as follows:

Pin #1 - trigger, or negative on coil
Pin #2 - Battery negative
Pin #3 - Hall sender negative
Pin #4 - 12v Coil, power
Pin #5 - Hall sender positive
Pin #6 - Hall signal

I am getting spark when it cranks over, made sure of it by pulling all the plugs and having someone turn it over for me. Nice blue spark was produced. The coil is brand new. Dizzy cap and rotor have maybe 500 miles on them, they came off my previous GLI. I tested the hall sender signal as per the Bentley, and it seems to be fine. I stuck the multimeter in the signal wire, hooked it up to battery negative and moved the motor by hand. It would go between 0v and 8.7v. From what I read that is normal. I have the Dizzy rotated clockwise a bit to try and retard the timing. I have 2 ICM's that I've tried it with. A stock one from a rabbit I got off ebay, and another one that TT had programmed a 22* timing "curve" into. I called Colin at TT and talked to him, he said it could have trouble starting with the ICM they sent me as it didn't turn out quite how he wanted it to and to try it with a stock ICM. Tried it, still no luck. That tells me it's something that doesn't have to do with that portion.. I think at least. One thing I did notice, is that If I unplug the hall sender, the motor will just continually crank. If I have it plugged in however, it will crank for a second, then struggle to turn over, and repeat for about 3-4 cycles. It's strange, and doesn't strike me as something normal.

Am I missing something crucial and/or simple? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
833 Posts
your base timing is ??? no matter, just retard from what you have until it starts.
when you connect the hall and a signal is received the plug fires but too early
too much pressure b4 the piston is headed down makes it slow down at the top

try and get it around 6-10° at idle and work from there.
Your cams are in time??

Do you have clean fresh gas or a tank of old ish?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Base timing was at the factory 6*. I do have it retarded a bit at the moment, but will keep going. I'm 99% sure I'm right, but to retard the timing would be moving the dizzy clockwise or towards the windshield right?

I haven't checked the cams, as the last time anyone was in there (which was like 4 years ago) it was my local vw mechanic, and it was working fine when I got it back. But I will check it out so I can rule it out.

I do have fresh tank of gas.

Thanks for the reply friend!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured it out. I am dumb. I was turning the dizzy clockwise to "retard" it.. nope it's the other way. Lol. It fired up right after I figured that out. Now its onto figuring out where the coolant is gushing out from...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.