VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Can i replace my power steering fluid with any kind? Like castrol? Or is there a certain brand i should stick to (i.e. Volkswagen factory)
Also, for tranny fluid, is there any time i should be thknking of doing this?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: Power Steering Fluid (Moosar)

is it auto?
anytime? sure anytime is good, u don't HAVE to if it's manual, can't hurt too though.
power steering fluid is kinda a grey area, i've poured regular stuff in with no problems that i know of, however none were my own car, heh. vw recommend sthis expensive stuff, which is damn expensive.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Power Steering Fluid (1992jetta-2)

It hasnt been changed since god knows when. And it has 188,000kms.
Maybe my 1992 Jetta isn't as reliable as your almighty 1992 Jetta.

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

if your doing the entire fluid change i would probably go with the factory stuff... if just topping it up, it's damn expsive to buy an entier bottle for a.25 liters of it to go in.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Power Steering Fluid (The_Hamster)

Probably topping it up, unless it would be a good idea to change it all?
Also, what about this redline MTL stuff i hear about? For manuals?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

works fine, improves the feeling, though brand new regular stuff feels about the same for half the cost.
some say the synthetic stuff and the vw seals don't get along well though.

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

yes, mtl and mt-90 are synthetic. i wouldn't worry about eating seals though, just something i've heard from a few people. but never seen or heard of any firsthand accounts.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: Power Steering Fluid (The_Hamster)

I was under the impression that VW changed their fluid recommendations halfway through 85-92 the early cars didnt need the expensive fluid and the later ones did. Or maybe I am thinking of something else.
Why would having an auto change anything? When i converted my GLi to 5spd I kept the same pump and refilled it will the cheap PS fluid.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

What is so special about the VW power steering fluid and what EXACTLY does it do the the pump? I can't think of any reason why it should be so special.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I gather you won't be needing it but another alternative is FEBI HYDRAULIC FLUID-S6161, I got it from my mechanic when I changed my power steering pump and used up my remaining dealer bought fluid I had in the garage. It's a german product from Ferd. Bilstein jr. Gmbh.(hence the FEBI) I think it came from Bow Wow but maybe a place called 'Auto-camping' in the Vancouver area so it should be available in the East. It cost me 12$ can. maybe 15$ can't quite re-collect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts