VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having power steering issues for awhile now, Originally the power steering wasn't working after parking the car and starting it up again. I've tried disconnecting the battery to reset all the electronics. I did lower my car not too long ago as well. I checked the fuses and the one in the cab for the steering module was sticking out slightly so I pushed it in and thought I had completely fixed the issue. The car was also throwing a 01309 code (No signal/communication to the power steering module) in VCDS. Any who I drive it for a bit, park it, and start it back up again and now I'm noticing the power steering takes about a minute to work after you start up the car. I've already driven the car around to charge the battery as its been sitting for a little bit. Should I try resetting the steering angle sensor? How would one go about doing that? Anything else I should check or try?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sounds more like you have a bad steering rack a bad fuse is a bad fuse. It will pop and no power gets to it.

Resetting the steering angle sensor won't do much. That's more for the traction control system.
If VCDS can't talk to it, that's your main tell that the rack is dead.

unfortunately you can't buy just the motor. You have to buy the whole rack. To replace it you're taking out the subframe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds more like you have a bad steering rack a bad fuse is a bad fuse. It will pop and no power gets to it.

Resetting the steering angle sensor won't do much. That's more for the traction control system.
If VCDS can't talk to it, that's your main tell that the rack is dead.

unfortunately you can't buy just the motor. You have to buy the whole rack. To replace it you're taking out the subframe
The thing is it kicks on after letting the car run for a little while. Once its on VCDS can communicate with it and shows no fault codes. I was originally suspecting it was the control module and not the rack. The rack has never clunked or made any noise before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts