VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a duplication from another thread, but I don't care. I'm going to show everyone my work.

I had a power steering rack in my cabriolet but have long since removed the power stering pump and plugged any ports on the rack for power steering fluid. But the time came for me to replace tie rods, shocks, wheel bearings, etc. so I thought I'd just go ahead and replace the whole thing with a new manual rack (purchased from Autohausaz.com)

The mount on the new manual rack for the 5 speed shifter linkage didn't match the power steering rack.

The stud had to be moved downward. So I just cut off the stud, drilled a hole, tapped it out for an M8 1.25 and put a bolt through the other side.

I also said to adios to those stupid plastic bushings in the linkage and had some bronze bushings that were modified to work. Now I'll never have to worry about those things wearing out. Notice the location of the new stud with washers as spacers.

So the splines on the two racks look different. In the picture, the PS is on top and manual on the bottom. But I fit the manual rack splined shaft into the steering knuckle on the car (which was originally for power steering) and it matched up.

I have to buy a right side mount for the manual rack because the one I jacked off the PS rack is too fat. The one on the driver's side fit just fine though.

·
Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,256 Posts
Nice write up!! :thumbup::thumbup:

In the pic below, you seem to be saying the splines are the same.
From that pic and statement then, it appears that the power steering u-joint shaft can fit a manual rack but not the reverse due to the flat.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I mean is that the splines look different, but the manual rack shaft fits in the steering knuckle just fine. Go figure.

The flat spot on the power steering shaft doesn't really do anything.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have already done this swap on my 90 cabby that I also swapped to diesel. I may be wrong, but you might end up having to get a steering knuckle from another car that originally had no p/s. I tried to use my p/s knuckle and it wouldn't reach the spline. It was way too short. Got mine off a 1983 GTI w/ out p/s. Then it bolted up like a charm. I also got the boot from the GTI since the one on mine was also too short. As far as the rubber bushings I went with the prothane poly ones. They only fit the manual racks and I have not had any issues with mine as of yet. Glad to see the write up tho. Keep it going!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have already done this swap on my 90 cabby that I also swapped to diesel. I may be wrong, but you might end up having to get a steering knuckle from another car that originally had no p/s. I tried to use my p/s knuckle and it wouldn't reach the spline. It was way too short. Got mine off a 1983 GTI w/ out p/s. Then it bolted up like a charm. I also got the boot from the GTI since the one on mine was also too short. As far as the rubber bushings I went with the prothane poly ones. They only fit the manual racks and I have not had any issues with mine as of yet. Glad to see the write up tho. Keep it going!
You're absolutely right. The PS knuckle will not reach the manual shaft, even though the splines are correct. What I did was unbolted the knuckle from the steering column and rack, cut it in the middle, and extended it about 30 mm. Pretty easy to do as long as you keep the shaft reasonably straight. The orientation of the upper knuckle and lower knuckle aren't critical, just reposition the steering wheel. My boot is still the PS one so I'll be looking to replace it sometime soon. The short boot allows for added sound inside the cabin.

If anyone tries this mod, certainly do what Rabbid Irish did and get a non power steering knuckle. I did it the freakin hard way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.