VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Re: Power window conversion (oakers)

ummm i see you have over 500 posts...haven't you read about all the regulators that have gone bad....do you really want to deal with this....i much prefer to use crank windows

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Power window conversion (jettagl 92)

I actually have read about all the regulators that have gone bad.
That's why I'm trying to get some outside opinions. I don't mind crank windows, but they can be kinda a pain in the butt sometimes.
Plus, I've got new door cards to install, they from a glx & before I install them I need to bite the bullet & decide whether or not to convert to power windows or just drill the hole in them for the crank.

So, anyone wanna offer me some info on actually doing the conversion? Or is it just not worth it...

·
Registered
277 Posts

I ordered and installed the same window kits you are lookin at from A1electric. They are pretty good so far no problems yet. had them for almost a year now.
If you want pw and can do minor mechanical stuff, it pretty easy to install they kit has OEM door handle covers and all wiring is wired and easy.
if no pw is a big deal then go for it. I looked at buyin oem ones but I dont think i can handle the wiring. so this is easy alternative..
hope this helps any question let me know

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Power window conversion (FUZHEAD)

how close are the OEM door handles to the ones included in this kit? can you use the OEM door pulls with this kit?

·
Registered
20,009 Posts

I've got info for you on this, but I'll have to get back to you. Busy night

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Re: Power window conversion (punkassjim)

I just got GLX door cards to match the new GLX seats i installed, and i'm planning to drill a hole in the card for the crank. It seems like more hassle than it's worth to install the power windows, plus it's money i don't have. I don't mind crank windows. I look at it as weight reduction on an already slow car
. I'm going to swap out the handles on the door card with the ones on my GL cards so i don't have dummy window switchs.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Re: Power window conversion (punkassjim)

Quote, originally posted by punkassjim »
I've got info for you on this, but I'll have to get back to you. Busy night

i want to see what jim has up his sleeve on this. mk3.89?

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Re: Power window conversion (putang spangler)

Well, the news ain't entirely good. My hybrid window regulators crapped out...gee, who knew when you put two break-prone regs together, you'd get something twice as likely to fail?

Anyway, yeah, I did the mk3 OEM power window swap, and it was a bitter/sweet process. Sweet because it was nice to have that slick window operation and one-touch-down. Bitter because I never could quite get the passenger's window to work properly. But I think I had an electrical problem that caused that.
Anyway, to do the swap, you need a power window wiring harness from a similar year as your car. So check the Bentley to see which years' wiring diagrams coincide. I seem to recall the 1995 was different from 1996, and late 1996 onward were all similar to one another.
If you have a Jetta/Golf, get a Jetta/Golf window harness (you have 4 windows). If you have a GTI, get a GTI harness. I have one for sale, cheap.
You'll also need the power window regs (complete with motors), and the door wiring harnesses (complete with everything else, like the vacuum lines for the locks).
It's a good idea to upgrade to power mirrors at the same time, since you'll have to route the wiring in behind your dash. Not a trivial task. You'll need to remove all air vents, headlight switch, cluster, and probably the airbag cover/upper glove box.
The wiring goes from A-pillar to A-pillar, and there are about 7 connections over at the fuse block, and distribution block just under the cluster. If you have 4 doors, the kick panels need removing to install the harness to the rear doors, and connections in the B-pillar.
I hear the A1-electric install is a whole hell of a lot easier...but I'm a huge fan of OEM parts (and less amateur wiring to cause fires), and an even bigger fan of that wicked-way-cool, convenience-open and convenience-close feature with the key in the door. You don't get that with A1-Electric.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts