VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power Inverter Noise

How do I eliminate the static/buzzing in the sound that is caused by using a power inverter to power a Play Station 2 when the engine is running? Is there some sort of voltage regulator or other device that I can get that will get rid of the static and buzzing. If so where can I get one, and about how much are they? Thanks

Modified by A10DB at 6:28 PM 11-26-2006

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Power Inverter Noise (afinley)

yea i cut the battery clamps off the wire it came with and used good terminals and grounded it to the same bolt as the amp and put a spade terminal on the positive wire and connected it to the positive terminal on the amp since i ran wire rated 4 800 watts origionaly and im only running a 500 watt amp i figured it would be fine if it was fused.

· Registered
5,104 Posts
Re: Power Inverter Noise (A10DB)

i would suggest running a new wire to the battery. do you have the ps in the trunk?
to be honest this baffles me then. if youve got them grounded in the same spot. have you always had this whine, or only since the ps, and did you have the amp before?

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Power Inverter Noise (afinley)

its only when the engine is on and the PS2 is on and being used..the CD and radio dont have this problem when the enigine is off it sounds fine which leads me to belive that its due to the alternator putting out a higher voltage, thats why i wondere if some sort of regulator may be the answer

· Registered
78 Posts
Yep, definitely sounds like a ground loop problem. I have one of those inverters (400W) that I just use time to time, and I notice a hum in my audio.
A better ground for the system should eliminate the hum. I like what I saw on that adapter that goes straight to the PS. By the way it's wired, it should isolate the PS from the dub's ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.