VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to post this... Are there any precations to take before welding on my car. I'm assuming I wanna disconnect the battery, what about the ECU?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Re: Precautions before welding on car (Tjax)

i weld on cars all day long. all that is needed is to disconnect the battery. and of course don't weld on the computer housing. thats it . if your really paranoid take out the computer all together.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: Precautions before welding on car (Coupe__88)

Another precaution it to put your welder's ground cable as close to your repair site as is reasonably possible and think about where the welding current will flow for example, if you're welding on a door, connect your ground wire to the door so that the current doesn't have to flow through the door hinges.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Precautions before welding on car (ABA Scirocco)

Thanks everybody. The computer is what I was mostly worried about.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Re: Precautions before welding on car (Tjax)

If its getting MIG or gas welded, dont worry about it. If the welder is using a TIG with a high frequency box, you may want to pull the comp and the radio. or alteast make sure they have no power to them. A guy I know that works on TEC2 alot had a customer that nuked something(forget what it was) when he had someone TIG on the car with the ECU still hooked up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts