VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
bb vs jb

Can you really see a big diff in spool up between journals and ball bearings on larger turbos like the 6262? I was told only 100-200 rpm tops and if your driving you would never be able to tell between the two. At least with the PTE billet setups. :confused:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Can you really see a big diff in spool up between journals and ball bearings on larger turbos like the 6262? I was told only 100-200 rpm tops and if your driving you would never be able to tell between the two. At least with the PTE billet setups. :confused:
I'd advise a ball bearing if you go that route. the ball bearing are pretty laggy so i'd hate to see what a journal bearing 6262 would spool like. You'd be looking at 5300-5500 till full boost is achieved on a race manifold.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Ya, I told my guy to get a ball bearing, but the journal spools pretty fast once it gets going. I got 2400 mbar at 4600. I would rather have a bb but I didn't find out till it was already on the car.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'd advise a ball bearing if you go that route. the ball bearing are pretty laggy so i'd hate to see what a journal bearing 6262 would spool like. You'd be looking at 5300-5500 till full boost is achieved on a race manifold.
I agree, going BB on these larger turbos on a 2.0 will certainly help keep the power band in a more useful range for daily driving. If you're after an all out race setup then BB would be advisable too, because the majority of JB turbos don't have the capacity to take the thrust in high boost applications.

Clay

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.