VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GTI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am working through my first tank of gas and was getting ready to grimace while I press the mid-range (89) button on the pump. However, I just realized that VW recommends the 2022s run on regular (87). Yes I know that even VW notes better performance with the 89, but I am wondering if anyone has done some real world analysis of 87 vs. 89. Does 89 give better mileage so the cost premium is somewhat offset? Do you truly notice better performance during city driving? (Not going to track it.). Note I don't need convincing to go with 89 as I already plan to and why not get the most out of the car. I was just curious.... And maybe someone will share some results that will make me grimace that little bit less when I press that button on the pump.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes I know that even VW notes better performance with the 89, but I am wondering if anyone has done some real world analysis of 87 vs. 89.
Not for the MK8. To the contrary, VW explicitly says in the manual:

Gasoline types are differentiated by the Research Octane Number (RON). The vehicle may also be fueled with gasoline that has a higher RON than what is required by the engine. However, this will not improve fuel consumption or engine power.

Now while Megan Closset may not know what she is talking about despite being the US Product Manager for the Golf, she has also reaffirmed on several occasions that putting in fuel with octane rating higher than 87 will only serve to drain your wallet faster in the MK8 GTI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not for the MK8. To the contrary, VW explicitly says in the manual:

Gasoline types are differentiated by the Research Octane Number (RON). The vehicle may also be fueled with gasoline that has a higher RON than what is required by the engine. However, this will not improve fuel consumption or engine power.

Now while Megan Closset may not know what she is talking about despite being the US Product Manager for the Golf, she has also reaffirmed on several occasions that putting in fuel with octane rating higher than 87 will only serve to drain your wallet faster in the MK8 GTI.
I think anyone who thinks he needs premium fuel needs to change his regular meds to premium…

·
Registered
2022 Golf GTI SE Kings Red
77 Posts
You can run 87 just fine in the mk8. I have for the past couple of fill ups. Now I wouldnt use cheapo kroger/walmart/costco gas for anything...or any mom and pop gas station.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can run 87 just fine in the mk8. I have for the past couple of fill ups. Now I wouldnt use cheapo kroger/walmart/costco gas for anything...or any mom and pop gas station.
FYI, Costco gas is certified “Top Tier”, both 87 & 93. Right up there with Exxon/Mobile, Valero, etc. I use it exclusively in my GLI. Good stuff. I’ve never seen gas sold at a Walmart here in the Mid Atlantic. Otherwise I’d agree with you on the no-name brands. It’s all about the additive package the refiner uses…

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've always use Premium.

I'm not after Gains, Performance, etc. I just want the best, cleanest and ethanol free.

It's the same reason why I use Amsoil in all three cars (and even my family and friends).

I also don't buy Tim Horton's and love Starbucks. Same reason why I don't drink tap water or bottle from Wal-Mart, I like Carbonated Water like San Pellegrino.

I've always believe in , you get what you pay.

·
Registered
248 Posts
BTW when my dealership delivered the wrong color, Pomelo Yellow back in December and we took it out it drove like it was on Eco mode. I was told it probably wasn't PDI yet, don't know what that means but we were shocked and honestly a bit disappointed.

My sales said, they put regular gas too and will make sure my GTI will be filled up with premium. He showed me the receipt. LOL

When my Moonstone Grey was delivered the it was night and day. Who knows.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm no mechanic and no fuel expert - I get that this is a tweaked version of the 2.0 EA888, but it is kind of weird (to me at least) that for years of having to run premium, one can now just use regular with no trade offs. I completely agree that just use what the manufacturer recommends and all will be well but if you want to use premium, in all honesty, it'll cost you maybe an extra couple hundred bucks per year (based on the prices where I live and how much you drive), so thats really not that big of a deal unless you're barely scraping by. Based on my driving per year, to and from work, a bit of scooting around on the weekends and a couple of road trips here and there, doing the math, it would cost me about $180 more a year than regular. Having said that, if there is a performance gain that I actually notice between the two fuels, that extra couple of hundred bucks a year would be worth it, but if I don't notice a difference or if there is no documented benefit, then I don't see the point and I'd rather save my money. But thats just me.

If your car requires 87 and if you can afford it and if it makes you feel better, pump 91 - no judgment here. I'll reserve judgment to those who's cars require 91 but they pump 87 😁

Reactions: jdavidvance

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
BTW when my dealership delivered the wrong color, Pomelo Yellow back in December and we took it out it drove like it was on Eco mode. I was told it probably wasn't PDI yet, don't know what that means but we were shocked and honestly a bit disappointed.

My sales said, they put regular gas too and will make sure my GTI will be filled up with premium. He showed me the receipt. LOL

When my Moonstone Grey was delivered the it was night and day. Who knows.
Well they are dogs in that Eco mode anyway. I doubt the gas has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
FYI, Costco gas is certified “Top Tier”, both 87 & 93. Right up there with Exxon/Mobile, Valero, etc. I use it exclusively in my GLI. Good stuff. I’ve never seen gas sold at a Walmart here in the Mid Atlantic. Otherwise I’d agree with you on the no-name brands. It’s all about the additive package the refiner uses…
Before my local /costco store upgraded to Tier 1 status they had to add a tank in the ground.

Hereś the sequence of events
1) Your local refinery manufactures the gas
2) The gas is pumped to a tank farm
3) Gasoline Tank Trucks load up at the tank farm
4) Tank Truck delivers fuel to Costco station
5) Costco adds the Additive Package (detergents) as the fuel is pumped from the tank in the ground

Thereś your Tier 1 Gasoline

Years ago I worked a few miles from a tank farm
Shell Tankers, Chevron Tankers, Mobil Tankers, Independent Takers all fill up from the same tap.

fat biker

·
Registered
554 Posts
Considering that the GTI has a direct injection engine, wouldn’t it make sense to put 93 premium fuel in it? Wouldn’t it help with the carbon build up issue?
No, I had carbon build up on my Mk7 R and pumped premium religiously. As mentioned above, with no fuel being injected directly into the intakes, build up is inevitable.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
5) Costco adds the Additive Package (detergents) as the fuel is pumped from the tank in the ground

Thereś your Tier 1 Gasoline

Years ago I worked a few miles from a tank farm
Shell Tankers, Chevron Tankers, Mobil Tankers, Independent Takers all fill up from the same tap.

fat biker
May not be the case anymore, but a few years back, the additives were like a log that the threw in the tank after loading up, it dissolved and
driving down the road mixed it all up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I use 87 Octane. I also don't plan to change my oil until 10,000 miles. You can believe what's in the manual, or you can believe some oracle on the Interwebs. Bye, bye, dollars.

My wife's 2021 RAV4 Prime has a normally-aspirated engine with a whopping 14:1 compression ratio. It takes 87 octane with no benefit to going higher either. To those of us that grew up shaving smogged British cylinder heads by 100 mills to get a decent compression ratio, then dealing with the pinging at 9.5:1 on premium, these new engines with 14:1 (normal) or 9.6:1 (turbo) running on 87 Octane are amazing. But that's where we are today.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts