VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 gli wolfsburg edition and i was driving it to my friends house and my clutch pedal just went straight to the floor. I took a look at it at his house and i saw that my cable bro. I then got it towed to my house but its been sitting for about 3 months because i have been too busy working on my friends MR2. I finally got my jetta in the garage to do the cable and i found something else was wring. I can pull up the clutch release arm with no effort at all. The only thing holding it are the springs. I did a search and found that it might be the fork that pushes the pushrod. I took off the tranny because i had to do my rear main seal anyways, and when i pull the clutch release lever the pushrood moves fine. My thrust plate looks good, no hole in the middle. My only guess now is a collapsed pressure plate. I took it off. How can I tell if its bad just by looking at it? I wish i had a digi so i can take pictures of it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Pressure plate collapsed? (Eric16v)

The entire range of motion. From the bottom to top. I could pull it with one finger.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: Pressure plate collapsed? (jljohnson85)

Examine that finger more closely, the one that pushes against the TO bearing.
They get a split in them, and slip around the splined shaft. When it does, it gets tight on the shaft, since the splines don't line up, so you moving it will make it act like the thing is doing its job, but it may indeed be broken.
Broke

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Pressure plate collapsed? (Broke)

I actually havent looked at the fork yet. I just thought it was fine because the pushrod moves out fine. Do I have to drain the tranny fluid to examine this fork? I just messed with the tranny a little more. I measured the length the rod moves out and its about 18mm, does this sound right? Also, if i push on the rod while letting the lever down slowly, it sounds odd, almost like someone is sucking on a straw in an empty cup.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts

you can pull it up an inch or 2 before it stops.....
have you put the cable back on to cjheck?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Pressure plate collapsed? (digifant dave)

Ok, kind of a late update. I figured out what it was. My throwout bearing is almost nonexistant. All there is is its a little metal plate floating around where the bearing use to be.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

Make sure you drain/replace your trans oil before you drive it, then flush it again after driving it for a few miles.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Pressure plate collapsed? (Vdubs)

Quote, originally posted by Vdubs »
Make sure you drain/replace your trans oil before you drive it, then flush it again after driving it for a few miles.

I did plan on doing that, but I just picked up a good 9a at a local junkyard for a great deal. My fifth gear was trashed anyways and i dont really feel like rebuilding my old one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts