VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of your sanity. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. If you can really afford it, you've just crossed over into… the Prius Zone

PRIUS, Calif. -- Gas keeps getting more and more expensive, especially in California. But perhaps nowhere is it pricier than the remote central coast community of Prius.

The town's only gas station is offering regular unleaded for $7.59. Premium is nearly $8.50. o_O:devilish:

The town has long been known for having some of the highest prices in the country. A sign at the gas station notes the next nearest station is 40 miles away to the north and 12 miles to the south.

Prius is located along the Big Sur coast, about 40 minutes north of San Simeon.
Smile Font Spokesperson Event Logo

·
Registered
20,673 Posts
I’ve never heard of Prius but…
I was driving Hwy 1 to Monterey eighteen years ago and didn’t realize in Cambria that I didn’t quite have enough to make it. I was super grateful for that gas station in Big Sur that gave me what I needed but…

it was something like $3.19/gal in 2003. Gas was under $2 everywhere else in the state. After paying $1 much of the year prior, that was some sticker shock!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When Prius was the iPod of Hybrids, I lived in the unofficial "Prius, California" (AKA Westwood, Los Angeles).
People moved on to other greenwash; the neighborhood is now the unofficial "Tesla, California".
This is all about necessity being the mother of invention. And neither Japan or California have been noted for cheap gas prices. Although ditching high fuel prices might not have been Elon Musk's motivation for reinventing electric cars. Hybrids and electrics do have their pros and cons. But perhaps if you're living in Prius, California right now, they have more pros than cons for the time being.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I’ve never heard of Prius but…
I was driving Hwy 1 to Monterey eighteen years ago and didn’t realize in Cambria that I didn’t quite have enough to make it. I was super grateful for that gas station in Big Sur that gave me what I needed but…

it was something like $3.19/gal in 2003. Gas was under $2 everywhere else in the state. After paying $1 much of the year prior, that was some sticker shock!
It's the same price-gouging gas station, the one in Gorda. "Prius California" is not a place, just a state of mind -- apparently one you can only enter through the midwest's imagination of California.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Writing from inside the zone, I note that a California driver pays less money out for gas than drivers from most other states. This is because less fuel is consumed per driver. So, in a way, it's working.

·
Registered
golf cart hatchback
5,911 Posts
When Prius was the iPod of Hybrids, I lived in the unofficial "Prius, California" (AKA Westwood, Los Angeles).
People moved on to other greenwash; the neighborhood is now the unofficial "Tesla, California".
I've always figured Malibu/Calabasas/Thousand Oaks to be Tesla, CA but it makes sense it would spread to that part of West L.A.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,584 Posts
Not Fremont or Hawthorne?

·
Registered
45,229 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And this isnt anything new. This place is always $2-3 more than normal prices. Because its the only gas station on HW1 for milesssssssss and they know that and take advantage of it.
That does make me wonder if this 1 gas station is a gold mine? And is there enough room in this town for 2 gas stations to charge outrageous prices? I do understand though how competition could lead to price wars or more reasonable prices. I did take a look at a satellite shot of Prius, CA and all its got is the gas station/mini mart, restaurant, general store and the Prius Springs Resort.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts