VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8v was running a few days ago while I was driving my 16v (also being a bitch to me atm). When I try to start it now, it just bucks a bit and dies. I couldn't really say it even starts to idle.
If I start it right away again, it will do the same thing... If I Let it sit for a minute or two then try to start it, she surges up to like 3 or 4k rpm, then back down to dead. Maybe a leaky injector... i'm not sure how to pull those yet though. If that were the case however, wouldn't it still start after awhile...?
Since both my cars crapped out on me i'm up for any suggestions. I had to call in sick for work today.

The low-down:
Both fuel pumps are new.
Wires/Rotor/Cap are fairly new.
Fuel Filter is a little older than the wires (couple years), it's a Mann filter.
New starter.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: [Problem] Car surges then dies on startup. (Dashivan)

Still no idea what's goin on. Checked fuel pumps, neither are clogged, fuel filter seems fine too.
Tryin to figure out whats going on with it between work/school before winter hits

· Registered
5,633 Posts

im gonna assume its CIS? in that case..we need CIS help fast!

· Registered
4,708 Posts

First off change that damn fuel filter!! I don't care who makes it - it should be changed every year. You never know when some crap gets into it....
Also check out all the wiring with a multimeter. VW are infamous for having wiring issues look like bigger problems. It's possible that if your car is CIS-lambda then the the Frequency Valve isn't running correctly - either from bad wiring or bad valve. Either way, this valve regulates pressure in your system and should be buzzing when running. And if you can't hear anything then hold the hose coming out of it and you should feel it.

· Registered
2,864 Posts
Re: [Problem] Car surges then dies on startup. (LewsCabbyTherin)

will it start and run if the throttle is held WOT... if so.. then it might be the fuel distributor gone bad..
My Passat did this and the fuel injectors were stuck WOT.
over fueling
I even had gas in the oil
I'd check the injector spray and if it looks like WOT then I'd bet its the fuel distributor..

WOT = wide open throttle ..(just in case you wondered)
GL http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: [Problem] Car surges then dies on startup. (mrdub27)

Well, it will start and surge, however no matter how much I hit the throttle, it will die instantly.
I know the injectors don't really have the nicest spray, but holding out before I throw down $200 for injectors for my backup car.
Anyway I think it's probably the wiring... it's always been pretty shady in this particular car. The fusebox isn't even the original one.
Sometimes all you can do is curse at the PO's stupidity/lazyness when it came to car care.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote, originally posted by LewsCabbyTherin »
It's possible that if your car is CIS-lambda then the the Frequency Valve isn't running correctly - either from bad wiring or bad valve. Either way, this valve regulates pressure in your system and should be buzzing when running. And if you can't hear anything then hold the hose coming out of it and you should feel it.

Where would this Frequency Valve be located? The car is an 84 BTW.

· Registered
4,708 Posts

If you have an oxygen sensor and a fuel distributor on your airbox then your car is CIS-lambda. i think the 84 roccos had this but I'm not sure.
If this is the case then your frequency valve is connected to your fuel dizzy. You SHOULD hear it buzzing while the car is running. If not then check the plug to it for voltage.
Also clean the fuel line that returns gas back to the tank!! This should be attached to the frequency valve (if you have one). If not then it is bolted right on to the fuel dizzy - by the Fuel pressure regulator. Take the gas cap off, spray a lot of carb cleaner into the line, let it sit for about a minute and blow it out with compressed air. Your CIS system is all about pressure and flow. If the return line is blocked then there is too much pressure at the injectors so they spray too much fuel

You can also try replacing the fuel filter - while you do this turn it upside down so the fuel comes out of the "in" port. See any rust or dirt in thier is a sign of rot in your gastank or fuel lines and should be checked out.
If your worried about the injectors being clogged you can also soak them in carb cleaner for a couple hours. There is no rubber pieces inside of them so it should be safe. Just make sure to get a new O-ring set for when you put them back.
Here is a link outlining your fuel system. Read it, learn it, love it - cause your stuck with it till you can afford something better

http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/june97/techtips.htm
http://www.forparts.com/fi.htm

· Registered
207 Posts

While I agree with the fuel distribution troubleshooting, I would encourage you to check ALL vacuum lines and ALL grounds. I had a similar problem from my 8v CIS-E RD engine a few months back. Turns out I had a ripped vacuum hose from the intake along with a disconnected ground at the intake as well. This ground I traced back to the temp sensor. Also, your sure that timing is set correctly? Most likely it's electrical.
But to boast of the redeeming values of 8v's I will say that today I had to drive to Annapolis MD from Lancaster PA (nearly 2 1/2 hour drive), running on 3 cylinders. I have a failed ring in the 4th cylinder which is sucking oil from the pan. So for those of you in MD, I'll take credit for reducing the mosquito population in your beautiful state.

· Registered
2,864 Posts
Re: [Problem] Car surges then dies on startup. (OpTiGmAn)

One other thing.. check the hose that goes from the ISV to the intake.. if it's torn or the ISV is seized open this could do this also.. too much air not enough fuel.. clamp the hose off that goes from the ISV to the intake and see if it will run properly..??
Oh also check the black rubber boot that covers the top of the fuel distributor and the one by the TB
for cracks.. this can usually start with bogging out under acceleration then as the crack gets bigger so does the symptom till it just won't run

Modified by mrdub27 at 10:25 AM 10-8-2005

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.