VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been bothered for awhile now that after the stealership changed my dash light bulbs, the dials for the fan speed and the air direction were kinda dim on the far edges. So I decided to pop the cover off it and inspect. Well the the clear reflector thingy that looks kind of like an octopus came out in 3 pieces!!!!
I guess this is the thing that everyone was saying would break easily. So I go to the stealership and of course, you can't just buy this one piece, you need to buy the whole climate control system and it's 131.00 Cdn

I glued it back together but I doubt it will work right so I guess I'm off to the wreckers to see if they have one. This sucks...

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Re: Problem with climate control lights! (Red Baron Golf)

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME !~!! But i was changing the bulbs my self and broke it. I bet the dealer guy broke it and put it back in. I had toi but a new system anyway so i got it for 30 off the classifieds. the wrecker should hve it for like 2 ask zoobawh he gets alot of parts (has a stash of cars outsid eof boston he hits) he could prob get it cheep. But i will bet the dealer broke yours. I dropped the whole unit and it did not brake. But as soon as i took off the black dust cover it broke on me.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Problem with climate control lights! (VWguy)

$119.95 incl. shipping! hahaha
Seriously...have you got an extra???

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

I *think* so... I replaced my switchery with the Cabby stuff, so technically I should have the full green unit lying around somewhere. I'll check tonight after work! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

G

·

OMG!!! I took mine apart hoping to fix something and once I put it back in the mowtherfacker completely stopped working altogether!! The lights on the 3 dials just dead like Taliban yo! I gotta get a whole new joint? The car is a ***@@@!!!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Problem with climate control lights! (Majik6)

Yep...unless of course you have all the pieces for your plastic dealy thing back there. I glued mine back together and it at least works better than it did. Still not perfect though! Just call around and find one at a wreckers - probably easier and cheaper that way.

·
Registered
924 Posts

Mine did that. The light didn't work for the longest time, then eventually the fan control switch stopped working, and began to heat up. It melted the switch, and the face plate, and was starting to heat up the dash when I decided it was time to change it out. was $60us from the junkyard (As opposed to $120 from the dealer)
-- Whol

G

·
Re: Problem with climate control lights! (Wholsea)

See.. I thought it was the bulbs that were making it dim, but apparantly not. ONce I took the whole thing out and looked at it I was like phuck it, I'm not going to be able to get to any bulbs from here. Once I put it back in all the lights went off. Stupid. I shoulda just left it alone. I'm going to just get a new one since the #3 fan setting on mine doesn't work anyway. I'll also check with potterman... that'd be phat if he had it cos it would only be like $8 or something, he always saves me bux. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-------------------------------------------------------
You shoulda got the s2k baby...

·
Banned
725 Posts

I would suggest gluing it back together with liquid Model Cement from the Hobby store. That is how I fixed mine in my car, Those light pipes are a pain in the @ss. It's worth a shot.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Problem with climate control lights! (Rob96GTI)

That's what I did with mine - works okay but not great. Then again, I'm a perfectionist so...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Problem with climate control lights! (shaggy02)

The bulb on my wife's MK3 climate control lights is burned out too. The controls still work just fine.
How big of a pain in the arse will it be to get the bulb replaced if I do it myself?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: Problem with climate control lights! (4-Door)

the bulb for the octipus looking thingy isnt a pain to feplace. just take a flat head and pop off the cover. opo out the green thing that surrounds the bult and pull out the bulb. well u have to take out the four screws also. my memory is a little fuzzy,but its really easy to do. just takei t apart till u get to the bulb.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts

some crap tech must have did a nice number on that plastic octopus thing. I took my dash apart for the first time, and didn't break it. It's incredible what kind of incompetents they hire as techs at dealerships. My brother was service advisor at a local VW dealer and it was scary what kind of things they did to people's cars and tried to cover it up. When I bought my mkIV, that was the first and last time the dealership ever saw that car.
if they broke it, then they should replace the whole thing if that's what it take. Try and prove one of their morons did it though.

G

·
Re: Problem with climate control lights! (JettaAE)

just be very very careful getting that clear piece of plastic off.. be patient and look at how it's clipped in there. the white plastic cover in the center contains the bulb that you need.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Wow, this is an old thread that resurfaced! I just went to a wrecker and got a used climate control module for $20.00 and reused the clear thingy and replaced the bulb, took about 20 mins total going really slow. Easy. But I can see how that clear lens thing can get broken very easily.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.