VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey VW fanatics,

I have an issue with my 2004 VW Golf 2.0 Liter gasoline engine. I took it in to the dealership for diagnostics- I told them that my car had trouble starting, basically the issue is that on occasion I turn the key and there is a delay in starting, no turning over and over, the car just seems to die and the notification lights on the dash come on and then the car just quietly comes to life before you aim to go and try to turn the key again and you are on your way. The VW dealership in Santa Cruz is really terrible and they weren't much help. They determined it was the fuel pump because I mentioned that the car does this when the car is low on fuel, but I also pointed out that it does this when the car is full. I have had it happen on less than a 1/4 tank and at 3/4 full.

I ended up replacing the fuel pump all by myself :wave: thanks to the help of youtube videos. It was so easy! They estimated a $1200 repair to replace the fuel pump and float level: $400 for parts and $800 labor. The fuel pump is just under the backseat in my 2004 Golf, I am an amateur, and I fixed it in 20 minutes. I was fortunate to find VW parts for $250 online.

So, here is the issue, I don't think it is the fuel pump because the other day, I had a troubled start like I described above since replacing the fuel pump. I am concerned it is clogged air flow, or injection lines, or something else that needs to be addressed, but I do not trust the dealership to diagnose it properly.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you!

Kkai8

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
So many issues I do not know where to start with.

If you have a 2004 VW with CIS, you're the only one in the world that does.

I am a professional and it's hard to stick up for the dealership for their ethics, but I find it hard to believe they will charge you $800 JUST to replace the fuel pump. With what you mentioned, it appears they gave you their opinion and you got what you paid for [I'm guessing you paid nothing].

Diagnosis is where most technicians lack in and that includes the dealership. Most customers expect a free diagnosis and they want it done over the phone. That just cannot be done, at least not accurately. When you give the customer free diagnosis over the phone, they call back and blame you for giving them the wrong information. Again, most people in the automotive field are pirates, but there are some good ones. The good ones do not work for free and are usually back logged for weeks.

So I suggest you find out which fuel system you have, post a thread in the proper forum, and have a bit more information other than 'My car had trouble starting'.

·
Registered
771 Posts
CIS is mechanical fuel injection. Your car it too new for that. A simple search shows that a 2004 should be a Mark 4. I recommend asking your question in the Golf IV & Jetta IV section of the forum.

(Butcher, he did describe the problem.)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Yes he did, but there are so many other issues too. Like, what fuel system does he have? Why is it posted here? How did they come up with $800? The diagnosis of a fuel pump just because it was low on fuel? What? Really? I'm certain there is more missing information on that conclusion.

So many issues, where do you start?

·
Registered
771 Posts
So many issues, where do you start?
Yep. Turning the key to start, the engine does not turn over but the car dies, then the next time you turn the key it is fine -- that is the part I noticed.

kkai8, find out if the car is generating fault codes. Your car is new enough it might be able to tell you what the problem is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your problem is electrical gremlins, in the relay panel; most likely. I would dismantle that and clean it. It sounds like there is probably some issues common to newer cars, of the gauges going all goofy, and car not starting. I would put an led on the fuel pump relay in the least, and see if it is actuating when you turn over during these times of difficulty. Probably just some gunked up circuits ... I rarely see fuel pumps fail, unless the driver runs the tank dry often. Or the mileage is very high. The fuel pumps are meant to be rather durable parts, and intermittent problems are generally electrical in nature rather than mechanical. You will have sputtering and stalling, as a fuel pump is about to go; especially with low fuel, or under heavy load.:what:

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Yep. Turning the key to start, the engine does not turn over but the car dies, then the next time you turn the key it is fine -- that is the part I noticed.
What? If the engine does not turn over it usually will not start. I'm still confused.

If your engine does not run [intermittently], it's fuel or spark. You need to narrow down to one or the other. It will cut the cause down 50%.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts